Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 camaro street/strip machine......off to the paint booth!!

Jeff Sauber

I haven't gotten much workbench time in these days since I've been dealing with a few medical issues, but I've been fiddling around on this camaro project on my good days. It's based on my 1:1 car that I built back in the mid-80's.

I no longer own the real one, so I though it was finally time to get started on the "mini-me" version. Lot's of work still ahead on the motor and rest of the car, but here's where I have things as of now...I had to re-engineer the rear suspension in order to accomodate the L-60-15 tires. The shock mounts have also been re-located.

No tubbing was neccessary once everything was repositioned. My 1:1 wasn't tubbed and the L-60 fit just fine although on hard launches the sidewall rubbed a tad bit on the fender lip.....

Edited by J. Sauber

I haven't gotten much workbench time in these days since I've been dealing with a few medical issues, but I've been fiddling around on this camaro project on my good days. It's based on my 1:1 car that I built back in the mid-80's.

I no longer own the real one, so I though it was finally time to get started on the "mini-me" version. Lot's of work still ahead on the motor and rest of the car, but here's where I have things as of now...I had to re-engineer the rear suspension in order to accomodate the L-60-15 tires. The shock mounts have also been re-located.

No tubbing was neccessary once everything was repositioned. My 1:1 wasn't tubbed and the L-60 fit just fine although on hard launches the sidewall rubbed a tad bit on the fender lip.....

DSC00001.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

DSC00005.jpg

DSC00006.jpg

DSC00012.jpg

Jeff long time no see, how have you been? Looks like one hell of a car.

Hey Nick, I'm hanging in there. I've had some re-occuring issues with Lyme disease that I picked up back in 1999. I've been getting back to the bench a little here and there, but I'm working at a slow pace. I've got like 5 or 6 projects I really need to finish up on....Jeff

Hey Nick, I'm hanging in there. I've had some re-occuring issues with Lyme disease that I picked up back in 1999. I've been getting back to the bench a little here and there, but I'm working at a slow pace. I've got like 5 or 6 projects I really need to finish up on....Jeff

It's good to hear that your hanging in there, and I think I've got the same problem with projects I used to have 1 project on the bench at a time I'm currently up to 5.

looks like a pretty cool project! i had a '69 Camaro in the early 90's that i drove right into the ground, don't regret a second of it either :lol:

keep us posted!

sorry to hear about the Lyme disease, it can cause alot of problems.

Dave

Yeah, these old 69's were alot of fun. I purchased the car after working at Giant foods for a year or two.

It was bascially a grandma car with a 2 speed powerglide [column shift] and a 307 sbc. It wasn't long however, till I saved up more cash and started with the big block 396/Muncie 22 transplant...I built up most of it in my driveway and garage with the help of a few buddies and a neighbor who was a great welder. I finally had it running low 12's before I sold it to guy in Virginia. I'm not sure what ultimately became of the car, although I heard in the mid 90's that it had been back-halfed and was running in the 10's and had a new owner who was racing it up at Mason Dixon Dragway...

Man, I miss that car....An old friend of mine recently came across a few pics we took of it back in the day... guess that's why I decided to get back to my 1/25 version last week.....

I'll keep the updates comming. The Revell kit is pretty much right on the money with accuracy. The chassis is a tight fit, but this kit really reminds me of My 1:1. I like the engraving and tooling. I'll be opening up the grill slots with a dremel later tonight.

Thanks for all the comments guys.......Here's the grill opened up. It was a real pest to do with the dremel. The part started to get real brittle as I kept shaving off plastic from the backside. I broke out a few teeth, but went and replaced them with some small strip styrene. It took about 2 hours or so and lots of trimming and sanding to get it all cleaned up and ready for primer/paint.

I think it was worth the extra effort......the unopened grill looked a bit heavy and thick. More to come, Thanks for looking.

DSC00002-1.jpg

DSC00003-1.jpg

DSC00005-1.jpg

Just a small suggestion, ditch the stock taillights and get some from the 1/24th scale Monogram kit. They look a 100X better then the Revell units. The border is not as thick, and they are not as deep. I am not sure if they fixed them for the snap kits, or not but the ones in the glue kit are just terrible looking, in my opinion. The one flaw of an otherwise great kit.

Just a small suggestion, ditch the stock taillights and get some from the 1/24th scale Monogram kit. They look a 100X better then the Revell units. The border is not as thick, and they are not as deep. I am not sure if they fixed them for the snap kits, or not but the ones in the glue kit are just terrible looking, in my opinion. The one flaw of an otherwise great kit.

Thanks for the tip......Yeah, I was looking at the tailights earlier today and thought that they looked a little heavy and thick compared to the 1:1 units. There are two styles that are included...[standard & RS]. Neither set fits too well in the body in my particular sample. Are the 1/24 version going to fit or will I have to hog out the openings a bit?

I may try sanding down the edges of the set that came in the kit. Theres a good bit of material to remove in order to get them to fit properly into the body slots....That could help with the overall appearance since they look way too thick to begin with.... Jeff

Good to see you back at the bench Jeff, you know how much I have always admired your work. Hope you can work out your health issues, always important to make that a priority. I have that same kit and did the same thing in opening the grille, makes a big difference and even looks better than a photo-etch one. Good luck w/ this project, hope to see you in May at our Mid-Atlantic NNL!!! ;)

Good to see you back at the bench Jeff, you know how much I have always admired your work. Hope you can work out your health issues, always important to make that a priority. I have that same kit and did the same thing in opening the grille, makes a big difference and even looks better than a photo-etch one. Good luck w/ this project, hope to see you in May at our Mid-Atlantic NNL!!! :(

Thanks, Cruz. I'm going to try and make it to the show this year. I didn't get there last year, but hopefully my schedule will be better this year. I've always liked the MAMA NNL. Lots of great work on display there.

Wow! You are doin' this Camaro justice! I like how you opened the grill. The stance is spot on! Keep up the great work and I can't wait to see more!

That grill is a work of Art Jeff, I may have to continue opening up my grilles so far I have done 1.

Once you get the hang of it and start doing it more it becomes addictive (bad habit if you will). :lol::lol:

<_<

Small update....I finished up on the grill by adding on the chrome surround trim. [now I just need to add on the photoetched grill emblem].

I also scratchbuilt a pair of race style mufflers similar to the one's on my 1:1 version. I also reworked the rear suspension a bit more..Don't worry about the excessive front wheel camber...everything is loosely mocked up and is just laying in position. I'll have it all adjusted at final assembly time.

DSC00001-1.jpg

DSC00005-2.jpg

DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg