Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 camaro street/strip machine......off to the paint booth!!

Jeff Sauber

Looks like it is coming along great nice detail watching to see this one done

I have a 69 Camaro that I am thinking of building a street racer out of now

I think I would not do as good as you might just change motor and wheels

never liked the 302 in a camaro when you could have bigger like a 427

• 2 weeks later...

1st let me say I hope you get better soon, 2ndly I am impressed with your level of building expertise. I love a clean build and one that you can tell the builder has put his heart into. keep up the excellent work and i will be following along. Have a great day ! Romell :lol:

Thanks for the comments guys....

With the engine and chassis mostly completed, I'll be turning my attention to the interior. the majority of it will be built and modified from the kit supplied parts, but I'll have to add in a 6 point cage, and a few other scratchbuilt details. The MCG phtotetched items will really make things pop..

DSC00001-6.jpg

what, no hacked up dash for a modern head unit? :lol:

i drilled a hole through my very nice dash pad too for a tachometer.

very nice work on that dash!

Dave

Thanks Dave, actually, the stock interior was the one thing I never really butchered up on my 1:1.. I used the factory tach and speedo...then when I went with the big block swap, I added a few extra gauges, a 6 point pre-fabbed cage [ordered from the old "PAW" catalog], and one those Sun tachs strapped to the steering column.

For the model I'm just going with a fairly stock layout except for a drivers side harness and a 4 or 6 point cage.......[depending on if I decide to add in the door bars]...We customized the cage and added those "swing out" door bars on my 1:1, but I never really used them much since I drove the thing on a daily basis....I just left them off unless it was track day.

Edited by J. Sauber

Im lovin your work keep the pics commin!!! :lol:

Thanks, I'm having alot of fun with this kit. The tooling is decent and it really has the look and feel of the 1:1 car.

The chassis and body fit is real tight, so mock ups have to be performed with alot of care. I'll try and get the interior side panels done today and then the seats, if there's time......Jeff

The dash pics look great, Jeff.

What did you use for the woodgrain?

Later,

The fake woodgrain is a piece of shelf paper/drawer liner...It's a similar tone and shade as my 1:1 had.....Looks just as cheesy too....LOL.

My car had the fake wood trim inserts at the wiper/headlight switch and above the glove box, instead of the grab handle option.

Very nice work. I love the open grill. What bit did you use in the Dremel?

Also, did the ignition coil come with the kit? I need to add one to a Corvette 427 on the bench.

Art

Art, these are the two bits I used..I nearly wrecked the grill a couple of times because of the rate the plastic was being removed...Make extra sure you go very slowly and check your work often. It's very easy to burn through everything if you're not carefull.

DSC00001-7.jpg

One of the reasons it may have been so tough for me was I used a single speed tool..You're likely better off using a multi speed version and setting it to the slowest speed for better control...

DSC00002-3.jpg

I scratchbuilt the coil from 2 different sizes of evergreen rod and aluminum sheet [for the hold down bracket].

The coil that comes with the kit isn't bad though. You can drill it out and wire it if you'd like. Mine unfortunately got misplaced, so I had to go the scratchbuilding route instead.

Edited by J. Sauber

Great detail going on here Jeff.

I've built several of these Camaros and hope a trick I learned along the way can be useful to you. It looks like you haven't got into the bodywork yet. The rear pan fits terribly on this kit. I've glued that on, filled the seams, then rescribed them. Next, cut the lower front valence off at the body lines. It's pretty easy to make a "backer" inside the fenders so aids in the fit and gives a nice place to glue it during final assembly.

This also solves an issue with the fit of the radiator support. As the kit is designed, Its real tricky to get the body on without snapping the support loose. It's a very tight fit. Without the front valence, it slides in no problem.

Looking forward to more progress.