Model Cars Magazine Forum

Radiator Hoses / Connectors & Something Else

HI:

Three ideas for "CHEAP" detailing. Visit Hobby Lobby and drop by the bead section. Three items are available for less than $2 each. They are crimp tubes with .8mm outside diameter, rubber bead hose to simulutate radiator hoses and "connectors"?????? For who knows what. The crimp tubes and connectors are sterling silver and are very shinny. I use the crimp tubes for fixtures at the end of brake lines etc. A set of 8 hex head connectors from a well know hobby supplier costs $9 .....that's for eight!!!! You get about 50 crimp tubes for $1.50.....see the picture:

Crimps-vi.jpg

Next are the connectors......they are sterling and you get 8 for $1.50......they can be straightened easily and can be used for a number of detail items.....they also come in three lengths.....see the picture.....

Connector-vi.jpg

Finally a shot of all three including the rubber hose......this is great stuff....it is hollow and just the right size for radiator hose....I use a .033 brass pin to mount it to the engine and radiator......just dot of gap filling ACC and it stays in place.....it is super flexible and soft and does not kink (unles you get crazy and bend it back over itself!!!!) The best part is it costs $1.27 for 5 yards!!!! Again a hobby supply house sells radiator hose (6 inches of it) for $5......see the pics....have fun.

All3-vi.jpg

I've used the hose and the crimp tubes for years, but the connecters were a new one on me great tip! One other thing,I use braided elastic cord (ANY craft shop/sewing outley) for my braided line. It comes in 5 or 6 differant sizes to fit #2,#3,#5 and #6 fittings(maybe more,but those I know for sure),and can be colored with a silver magic marker to look like braided metal. One word of caution here-examine the elastic closely,some will look very uniformly braided,while other packs will look very uneven. To keep it from unravelling when you cut it,touch a SMALL drop of superglue where you want to cut it,then use your Xacto blade and cut the line at an angle. This gives you a sharp 'point' on the line and makes it much easier to thread into fittings. (BOY,those suckers can FLY !!!!) Be sparing with the superglue as the cord will 'wick' it if you're not carefull,and lose its flexability. You can use this to your advantage,if you want to pre bend your lines. Stuff's cheap too,about 2 bucks for about 20 feet..........'Z'

The rubber hose is in the bead section? or is it somewhere else?

Hi Kaleb:

The rubber hose was in the bead section.....it is called "Pony Bead Tube" if I recall.....I am on the road so I don't have it right in front of me.....$1.27 for 5 yards!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

To Steve Z's point.....I also use braided wire from the bead section. The stuff I found comes in 3 or 4 sizes and is a 3 inch or so piece of wire with a loop on the end and then more wire wrapped around the core....it simulates big block chevy braided plug wires perfectly......the heavier stuff can be used for the hand brake lines on mid-year Corvettes or just about any armored line you might need........I have one or two more bead aisle finds that I will pass along this weekend.....

Later

Bill (Duntov)

Here is just one example of what I have used a crimp tube for.......my current build ('39 Chevy) in the "On the Workbench" section shows a crimp tube used to detail the interior of that car.......I placed it between the speedo & tach to simulate a fuel gauge...see the pic.....

NewDash-vi.jpg

More bead stuff, ready made hydraulic/shock ends.

caps.jpg

Hey Daniel:

These are prtty cool......I saw a package but I drifted off and looked at other stuff......these are really great.....have to go back on Saturday.....Thanks!!!!

Regards

Bill (Duntov)

I buy the elastic braided cord usually found in the sewing section at your local fabric/craft store,and it comes in black or white. I use a silver permanent magic marker to'color' mine. i've also used the black cord 'as is'; I've seen real('1/1') braided lines in black. Also,in the real world,you can buy braided hose covering kits that go over your regular hose; I've seen these in red and blue. You could duplicate these with markers also. I've tried the metallic braided line which comes in several colors,but it just doesn't look right once it's in place on your model.

For braided line I use a wire product in the bead section. It has a loop on one end and is wrapped around itself.......It is different from what Steve Z is using.....I have found good uses for both though.....

OK see the two pictures below.....the one on theleft is a 67 big block (Revell kit) I did for a friend.....using the wrapped wire from the bead section......right next to it on the right is a shot of my real big block coupe with braided wires.......the wire from the bead section replicates the real thing quite well.....take a look......

Later

Bill (Duntov)

Braidedplugwire-vi.jpgwires2-vi.jpg

Edited by Duntov

• 12 years later...
On 4/30/2010 at 3:08 PM, Duntov said:

For braided line I use a wire product in the bead section. It has a loop on one end and is wrapped around itself.......It is different from what Steve Z is using.....I have found good uses for both though.....

OK see the two pictures below.....the one on theleft is a 67 big block (Revell kit) I did for a friend.....using the wrapped wire from the bead section......right next to it on the right is a shot of my real big block coupe with braided wires.......the wire from the bead section replicates the real thing quite well.....take a look......

Later

Bill (Duntov)

http://images12.fotki.com/v539/photos/9/1636729/8616692/Braidedplugwire-vi.jpghttp://images56.fotki.com/v525/photos/9/1636729/8616692/wires2-vi.jpg

Bill, can you repost the 2 above pictures. They don't open for me. Thanks

On 4/27/2010 at 6:46 PM, Duntov said:

Here is just one example of what I have used a crimp tube for.......my current build ('39 Chevy) in the "On the Workbench" section shows a crimp tube used to detail the interior of that car.......I placed it between the speedo & tach to simulate a fuel gauge...see the pic.....

http://images41.fotki.com/v209/photos/9/1636729/8570529/NewDash-vi.jpg

Bill would you repost this picture as I can't get it to open.