Model Cars Magazine Forum

Somewhat OT.....Music (not just to model by)

OK, I usually don't go for things like this (there was a thread a while back on music you model to), but I really have to comment on a style of music. Anybody remember the 'Stray Cats' Rockabilly band from the 80s and how they had nice cruisers/hot rods (and even sang about them)? well, the music Genre called 'Psychobilly' has a killer band.....Koffin Kats. If their song 'Small-Block and Flathead' doesn't get you thinking about chops, rats, bobbers, and doing extremely crazy stuff with old metal, you are probably dead. HOLY CRAAAAA....(yeah you know the word) these guys ROCK! Sorry, few things really inspire me, but I listened to this song over and over and my mind just flew through all sorts of rat/bomber/bobber build ideas!

Just had to get that off my chest and out of my head. But for those who like Rockabilly/Psychobilly; you REALLY need to check them out.

I've recently acquired a taste for country western,rockabilly,and country rock.

I've listened to all forms of country for years, and lately I've been listening to the older 70s trucking songs from Jerry Reed and Red Sovine. There's just something about those types of songs that get me inspired to work on my trucks, since most of the kits are 70s trucks too! :lol: Of course, there was many a long night "East Bound and Down" or "White Line Fever" kept the big wheels turning while I was still pounding the pavement! :lol:

I've listened to all forms of country for years, and lately I've been listening to the older 70s trucking songs from Jerry Reed and Red Sovine. There's just something about those types of songs that get me inspired to work on my trucks, since most of the kits are 70s trucks too! :lol: Of course, there was many a long night "East Bound and Down" or "White Line Fever" kept the big wheels turning while I was still pounding the pavement! :lol:

Thanks Matt! just when I had that song East Bound out of my head you have to go and say Jerry Reed :lol::lol:

I been listen to country this week myself.

Edited by m0parman

Harry does make a point, but only partly.

While the Stray Cats did recycle a style somewhat. The sound was all their own. Thus, they were indeed ahead of their time.

I'm currently working on a rock tune called "Four On The Floor" which features a High Energy rock beat with hellacious guitars and top fuel and Hot Rod enines roaring in the background in certain spots.

As I was writing it, Hot Rods and pop culture just leapt into my mind. That, and I've been looking at a lot of Robt Williams type art lately. The riffs just leant themselves to the car sounds perfectly. Stategically placing them has been fun. I have a one minute snippet from ealier in my writing process, and while it's a scratch track you can feel the vibe it relays.

Perhaps I'll post this little snippet for y'all to hear.

How can I do this? Any help is appreciated. If I can send it to someone and they can host it [it's only 2.41Mb] PM me please.

Bob

Jerry Reed was one o the most underrated guitarists of all time. Look for any of his old stuff on Youtube and you'll see what I'm talking about. For me I'm in the truck all day the last thing I want to here about is more truck driving :lol: But if it inspires I say go for it. For some odd reason I like Miles Davis and John Coltrane the cool Jazz phase it helps me concentrate. Now the later free form stuff to much for me.

Edited by mredzadventure

I've listened to all forms of country for years, and lately I've been listening to the older 70s trucking songs from Jerry Reed and Red Sovine. There's just something about those types of songs that get me inspired to work on my trucks, since most of the kits are 70s trucks too! laugh.gif Of course, there was many a long night "East Bound and Down" or "White Line Fever" kept the big wheels turning while I was still pounding the pavement! smile.gif

Don't forget Red Simpson, Del Reeves and Dave Dudley!!!cool.gif

I totally dig "Psychobilly",best band for me,which I had the pleasure taking my daughter to their show back in May,"DEADBOLT"....these guys are AWESOME!!!,they even came out in the crowd before the show started and "Harley Davidson" seen my daughter there and talked to her and took us to the green room to meet the "Tank" and "Bad Time Charlie",got her pivture taken with them and THEN had her up front and did 3 songs dedicated to her and even went as far to put her name in the songs!!!!!....something she will never forget!!!!!

That right there Mike is certainly a 'class' band. I was at a 'Flogging Molly' concert and spilt my Guinness on a lady ahead of us. As I went to apologize, she said "Don't bother lad, 'Tis considered a right Christening." followed shortly by "Would you like to meet the band?". meet the band......heck yeah! I spilt beer on the singers mom and got to meet them after the show. AWESOME! I love Flogging Mollys sound as well, but for some reason Psychobilly eerily haunts me.

One of my favorite CD box sets is Hot Rods or something like that. It is 5 CDs and about 100 songs from the 1950s era to mid 1990s. Im pretty sure it is out of print. Real motorvator for anything with wheels! Cant wait to dig it out as soon as I find it from my recent move! LOL!

Drew C. from S.C.

Sorry about that Mick......I just had to get that out of my head. The song is infectious and contagious. Hope you weren't up too late, or if you were, it was worth it to you!

Drew; there used to be a 'Brain in a Box' CD collection as well, featured some surf guitar, rockabilly, Cash and Waylon, some really good stuff. It too sadly is now out of print.

i believe the term psychobilly was coined to describe a group out of new york city called the cramps who got famous in the late 70s/early 80s.

edit: ah but now i see thats not correct. youtube is a wonderful thing

i had friends in san francisco who had a video company called target video who recorded most punk shows in the city at that time, mostly at the mabuhay gardens on broadway. they went with the cramps to the minimum security ward at napa state hospital to do a show for patients there. its on youtube, or at least a few excerpts are. i have a complete tape of it somewhere:

these guys were great even though its not really my genre of music...i was typically across the street (from the mabuhay) at the stone catching gregory isaacs, burning spear, black uhuru, wailing soul, that sort of thing.

i think it safe to say there were extra doses of meds that night at lights out.

then there were the trashmen with surfin bird (also covered by the cramps)

Edited by jbwelda

Guest Markus355
Two words ... Unknown Hinson. Not really psychobilly; more demented country, but an AMAZING talent!

YES! YES YES YES! UH is the king of Country western troubadors baby.

Also. Im rather fond of motorhead...

acelp.jpg

Guest Markus355

Yeah mojo nixon is awesome. Btw that ace of spades tattoo is mine, i just nabbed it from my tattoo guy's website.

I used to drive my coworkers NUTS blasting motorhead all the time.