Model Cars Magazine Forum

51 merc custom

brett

Jimmy Flinstone, Hirohata merc (I think, had it for a while cant remember). Using amt 49 modified chassis and sectioned interior. This is the ride hight and the spoon is the colour everything above the chrome trim will be, below the trim will be gloss black. Staying with steelies and will add white walls to the tires.

51merc2.jpg

51merc1.jpg

51merccolour.jpg

51merc3.jpg

Looks to be an interesting build.

I like the color combination you described.

I have never worked with resin before is there a lot of difference from plastic??

Looks to be an interesting build.

I like the color combination you described.

I have never worked with resin before is there a lot of difference from plastic??

Thanks and I hope it works ok, I think it should. Yes and no. Resin is softer so its easier to sand which means you have to be more careful so you dont sand too much. It also needs super glue to be glued and you have to be careful about cleaning it or stripping paint as some common mediums (ie brake fluid) can melt it right in front of your eyes. The main thing is there's a whole world of unkitted cars out there that is available in resin form which can give you a whole new array of cars to build. I'm not going to get into the whos best/worst debate but I will say jimmy flinstones stuff is cheap (if you have a mishap its not a lot of cash to lose) ,I've always found the outside of his bodies to be great, quality wise though they are on the thick side inside which can be a little trickier to deal with but again they are cheap.

dont know what mold release they used but talk about a pain to remove, took a couple of attempts to get it to where the primer would stick. Then smoothed off with some 2000 then sprayed the black for the base. Havent got anymore of that red that was on the spoon and worse still have no record of what it was icon_sad.gif , so sprayed some more spoons black and sprayed each with a different red polish

redoverblackspoons.jpg

from left no.22 then red silk ,then no.14 ,then the original spoon. Went with no.14

hiromerc3.jpg

hiromerc5.jpg

hiromerc6.jpg

got to leave it to dry so I can polish and foil it.

hiromerc2.jpg

hiromerc.jpg

interiors just roughed in at the moment, once the reds properly dry I'll go back and clean everything up. only just cut the front seats off the sprue to take this pic

Edited by brett

Well I'll show you the pics of it foiled but its visiting a stripper at the moment,couple of little chips in the red that I wasnt happy with :D . Not so long ago I would have done a sub standard repair, but not any more( well to be completely honest I did but wasnt happy with it icon_redface.gif ).

hiromerc13.jpg

hiromerc10.jpg

hiromerc9.jpg

hiromerc12.jpg

swapping this flathead out for a more stock one as the wont be opened to see it

hiromerc7.jpg

think the stripper musta been a bit of a slapper, hiro came back with a funny pink rash all over (funny cause the nailpolish had to go through black lacquer and lacquer primer to touch the body).

hiromerc17.jpg

and some damaged side trim

hiromerc22.jpg

but a bit of putty some sanding, a bit more putty its as good as new again. And now its Back in Black icon_smile.gif I know this is the other side but it looks just as good now

hiromerc24.jpg

will give a slight wetsand tomorrow if I get a chance so I can re lay the red. Stock motor pic, nothing special just didnt see the point of hiding such a nice looking offy flathead

hiromerc21.jpg

more pics here if youre interested

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v392/awesome55/whats%20on%20the%20bench/

made some more progress, still have some more polishing to do :) before I finish the headlights and glue the front bumper.Any ideas on what to use for a/the back bumper? For the outer ends was thinking 55 chevy inner middle the merc centre but no idea on what to use in between to join them as it kinda needs a reverse pattern of the 55 ends so as to hug the body.

hiromerc31.jpg

hiromerc32.jpg

hiromerc33.jpg

Edited by brett

• 1 year later...

drug this one back to the bench, and put a coat of Dupli color metal specks red over it. I'll have to redo all the BMF but some of that was pretty shabby anyway. I'll give it a day or two then give it a wet sand and polish to smooth out the paint a little more

DSCF8040-1.jpg

DSCF8042-2.jpg

DSCF8045-1.jpg

Edited by brett