Model Cars Magazine Forum

Need info and some parts.

OK, I just acquired a 1/25 AMT KW to do the truck from the TV show "Movin' On" Thanks very much to Phil Harkins for snatching it off of evil bay for me.

It's supposed to have a Cummins NTA 370 six cylinder rated at 370 hp and 855 cubic in turbo charged 6. First question, is this engine supposed to be blue?? I think it is, and I could use a reference pic of the engine if you have one.

From what I can tell on you tube there is two mistakes to the kit. One, it does not have the matching battery box under the passenger side door. I need to buy one of them if someone has one they can part with or knows where I can buy a chrome plated one to match??

Second is the sleeper. The kit has the base sleeper. The tv truck has a longer version of the sleeper. I don't think I have the skill to make it look the way I want it. So, is there an aftermarket long sleeper version for this truck that I can buy ??

Lucky, all of this was still bagged in the box, but the decals are shot. I found a site that has the correct decals though, so at least I wont have a problem with that.

One other thing, does anyone make a Fruehauf 40 ft box that I can build to put behind it ??

If anyone has built one and wants to offer pics or suggestions I am all ears. I tend to learn something new on here all the time. Whether it's a new technique or some detail I missed along the way.

Thanks for any help or comments on this new project in advance.

Well, the good news is Round2 is reissuing the Freuahuf 40ft Van trailer later this year, so you should be set there.

Now, ready for the bad news? The AMT "Movin' On" Kenworth is not even close to correct. The kit is AMT's 1968-1972 Kenworth W923 (or W925 if you're lucky enough to get the torsion bar suspension) with some "Movin' On" looking decals thrown in the box. The actual truck used in the show was a 1974 Kenworth W900 with a VIT interior.

So, if you want to make an accurate "Movin' On" Kenworth W900, here you go. First, you'll need the cab, interior & sleeper from the Revell of Germany W900 or T900 kits. Keep the hood from the AMT kit.

Second, you sort of have a choice of engines as there was more than truck used for filming. You can either use the NTC350 from the AMT kit, or you can use the Auslowe Cummins VT903 (which is what the truck had if you asked Sonny). For this year Kenworth the engine should be white.

Third, In order to fit the 60" sleeper, you'll probably have to streatch the frame. You'll also need to get a set of the Tandem Torsion Bar suspension. Eric Jones (aka Porky) offers it in resin.

This might help, too:

http://timstrucks.site.aplus.net/images/images_oct/sonnycolorchart.jpg

Here is some info and pics I found on the Internet Movie Cars Database:

http://www.imcdb.org/

They used both a 1973 Kenworth W-925 and a 1974 Kenworth W-900 A for the show, according to the site, and from the pics, both bunks are correct.

The 1973:

127.jpg

The 1974:

248-972.jpg

I also found this pic of under the hood, even though it is not the greatest, and it is labeled on the site as the Cummins VT903.

hoodopenqr8.jpg

A great idea if you would want to build both trucks, use the AMT kit for the short bunk 73 model and use Revell of Germany's Kenworth W-900 for the 60 inch bunk. I forget offhand who offers aftermarket decals, but I have seen a few different aftermarket decal makers offering better decals.

The kit is AMT's 1968-1972 Kenworth W923 (or W925 if you're lucky enough to get the torsion bar suspension) with some "Movin' On" looking decals thrown in the box.

Jim , I'm not sure if there are any differences kit wise, since the only AMT Kenworth I ever had was the Movin On kit, but I'm almost sure the kit was marked as a W-925 on the box. Without having any of the other issues, though, I don't know if the suspensions were correct for the W-925.

Jbot offers decals for the "In Tandem" W900, the "Movin' On" W900, and the "In Tandem" K100.

You'll still need the Revell of Germany cab to make the "In Tandem" W900 as there are some differences between the 1972 cab & the 1973 cab. Most notably the door handles.

As far as the AMT W925, it's a cast of what's "on" the isn't exactly what's "in" the box. I believe that the earlier AMT Kenworths actually had the torsion bar suspension so they were W925s. When AMT switched to the spring suspension in the kits, th truck "in" the box became a W923, but they left the box the same. It really isn't that big of a deal as it's still a W900 Series. Kenworth stopped calling trucks W923, W925, etc. starting with the 1973 model year; and just starting calling them W900. Which is where you get confusion, and some people calling these trucks W900A. Kenworth never made a W900A. It was W900, then W900B in 1983 (I think).

Well, I checked and it's a leaf spring truck in the AMT kit. The box is not marked, but the auction was marked as a W925 IIRC.

So, I can go with either bunk then, it has a white engine instead of blue, I need a T bar rear suspension and I still need another battery box for the passenger side.

And J Bot was where I was going to get the decals from.

I know the movie truck used the short tanks and the tv truck used the larger tanks. Noticed that in the pics that one of posted.

Also noticed that one truck has a single drivers side aircleaner. The AMT kit has dual aircleaners. I"ll have to check on that and see which one is correct as well. I don't remember right off hand.

Ok, I was looking at pics on the IMD website. There were trucks that used both single and dual aircleaners. The short bunk had a single and the long bunk had duals.

This is some comments about the truck posted on IMD.

I talked to Paul in a e-mail who owns the surviving Movin' On Truck he told me that this truck was the other original 1974 Kenworth W-900 VIT

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_248972-Kenworth-W-900-A-1974.html

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_42128-Kenworth-W-900-A-1974.html

Trucker,

those pictures are not all pictures of the '74 KW the 1st & 4th pictures are of the '73 Kenworth W-900A VIT I talked to Paul Sagehorn through an e-mail he told me that there were 4 Sonny KW's used in the TV Series total! and also if we include the Pilot Truck & the black 'n' green KW that would be 6 Kenworth's total used in the show

the 2 original trucks were '74 Kenworth W-900 VIT's so the W-900A VIT in the name of the truck needs to go and be switched with just W-900 VIT both of the '74's have been known to exist today!

the other trucks were a '75 Kenworth W-900A VIT & a '73 Kenworth W-900A VIT both have been scrapped after being destroyed after filming! the '73 cought on fire right after filming was done and was scrapped, the '75 went to cluade akins after filming then when he died in '94 his decided to auction off the truck at the end of '95 early '96 the truck was sitting in a barn when that barn collapsts and the truck was crushed & totaled then was Scrapped!

look on Paul S'. Web site he first mentions the '75 Kenworth W-900A VIT in the tab "Loactions" when he got to see the house that was in the episdoe "To be in Carolina" which he said featured the '75 Kenworth W-900A VIT

the black 'n' green KW was a '76 Kenworth W-925 & the pilot truck was a '73 Kenworth W-925

check out my link below of Paul mentioning the '75 KEnworth W-900A VIT

http://www.tvtruckin.com/id11.html

there's really 4 epsisodes that I know of that featured both of the original trucks "'74 KW's" 2 small epsiodes "Antique's" & "Games" then 2 big episodes "The Switch" that also featured a black 'n' green '76 Kenworth and "General Delievery" that also featured a Gray & white '59 GMC Cracker box

yeah I also agree with BM & 4x4 23 the the truck was is a 1974 Kenworth W-900 VIT "both of the original trucks were like that"

however there were also a 1975 Kenworth W-900A VIT & a 1973 Kenworth W-900A VIT used in the series as well

the 1975 Kenworth W-900A VIT was used in the following episodes

#1. "Hoots"

#2. "Will the last trucker leaving Charlotte please turn out the lights"

#3. Part of "Love, Death and Laura Brown" the other truck used in that episode was a 1973 Kenworth W-900A VIT, they way to tell if it's the '75 or '73 is look at the CB Radio and antenna's the '73 has them pushed back by the wind & the '75 also had Black Mud Flaps with White "KW" Emblem's most of the time it appeared on TV

#4. "Games"

#5. "Please don't talk to the driver"

#6. "Landslide"

#7. "Life Lines"

#8. "......To be in Carolina"

and to back me up here is a link down below, of Paul Sagehorn the known owner of one of the surviving 1974 Kenworth W-900 VIT's talking about a 1975 Kenworth Being in the series

http://www.tvtruckin.com/id11.html

Here is my plan for a 'proper' Sonny Pruitt truck:

Revell of Germany W900.

AMT W900 hood.

Cummins 903 from Ertl IH 4270.

Modify what needs modifying for the shorter BBC and wheelbase.

Stripes from JBOT.

The AMT hood WILL mate up to the Revell cab, the hinges and cab mounts will need to be adjusted.

I have all the parts on hand.. I just need to build it someday.

Tim

Well, the good news is Round2 is reissuing the Freuahuf 40ft Van trailer later this year, so you should be set there.

Now, ready for the bad news? The AMT "Movin' On" Kenworth is not even close to correct. The kit is AMT's 1968-1972 Kenworth W923 (or W925 if you're lucky enough to get the torsion bar suspension) with some "Movin' On" looking decals thrown in the box. The actual truck used in the show was a 1974 Kenworth W900 with a VIT interior.

So, if you want to make an accurate "Movin' On" Kenworth W900, here you go. First, you'll need the cab, interior & sleeper from the Revell of Germany W900 or T900 kits. Keep the hood from the AMT kit.

Second, you sort of have a choice of engines as there was more than truck used for filming. You can either use the NTC350 from the AMT kit, or you can use the Auslowe Cummins VT903 (which is what the truck had if you asked Sonny). For this year Kenworth the engine should be white.

Third, In order to fit the 60" sleeper, you'll probably have to streatch the frame. You'll also need to get a set of the Tandem Torsion Bar suspension. Eric Jones (aka Porky) offers it in resin.

This might help, too:

http://timstrucks.site.aplus.net/images/images_oct/sonnycolorchart.jpg

Sheese Jim, now you have me wanting to build one!!!!!! :lol:

The truck that Paul has was used for many interior shots too.

I like those pics on IMDB.. those are screen captures I posted on my Movin'On page from video tapes of the show long ago.

Movin'On And my old-old Angelfire site

MovinOn still humming along.

Tim

Thanks for the links. "General Delivery" is on you tube if you want to watch it. It's about 6 parts though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9s6JMm66wI

Here is my plan for a 'proper' Sonny Pruitt truck:

Revell of Germany W900.

AMT W900 hood.

Cummins 903 from Ertl IH 4270.

Modify what needs modifying for the shorter BBC and wheelbase.

Stripes from JBOT.

The AMT hood WILL mate up to the Revell cab, the hinges and cab mounts will need to be adjusted.

I have all the parts on hand.. I just need to build it someday.

Tim

Tim,

Was it a V903 or a VT903? Auslowe now has a VT903 available.

Hey, Ben, get crackin'!!!

I haven't built the Revell of Germany kit yet, so I'm not exactly sure what's involved it removing the 8-bag suspension. Don't see why you couldn't though. The VT930 will probably fit better as that frame is "fitted" for the 3408.

There is a lot of great information and facts in this threads. Sometimes there can be more work in researching the subject than building. It all adds to the interests and accuracy of the builds. As stated in previous posts the Revell KW has an extended hood so its longer than the standard hood used in the show and movie. Just out of interest does anyone know what the BBC dimension was for the standard hood and the extended hood on the W900a? The W9 is definately one of my favourite all time trucks and green is one of my favourite colours. I will certainly look forward to seeing the progress on all these "Movin On" KWs.

Good Luck everyone and have fun building.

Dave

There is a lot of great information and facts in this threads. Sometimes there can be more work in researching the subject than building. It all adds to the interests and accuracy of the builds. As stated in previous posts the Revell KW has an extended hood so its longer than the standard hood used in the show and movie. Just out of interest does anyone know what the BBC dimension was for the standard hood and the extended hood on the W900a? The W9 is definately one of my favourite all time trucks and green is one of my favourite colours. I will certainly look forward to seeing the progress on all these "Movin On" KWs.

Good Luck everyone and have fun building.

Dave

Thanks. I'm going to need all the luck and help I can get. lol. I only drove a real truck for a year, so I am not in the know like some of these guys on here are. So, at least I know where to ask all my stupid questions. I don't do a lot of trucks either. Mostly race cars and just my favorite tv and movie cars and trucks. I want it to be as accurate as I can get it, but I may fall short in some areas, but I'll try my best.

Here's another dumb question too. Does the Revell kit have the longer sleeper for the MO truck? If not, where can I get one? I think SK has the T Bar rear suspension in resin IIRC.

Jim,

Thanks for the info. So it looks like the Revell of germany sleeper would be the right one for the series truck. I don't think I've seen the Revell/Monogram KW. Anyone have a picture of the box. One other question. Wasn't 73 or 74 a jubilee year for KW and didn't they have gold colour KW badges on the radiator grill? I seem to remember seeing one somewhere, although it may have been one of the Smokey and the Bandit KWs'. I think age is creeping up on me!!

Dave

Yes, Kenworth had gold emblems on their trucks in 1973 for their 50th Anniversary. I think one of the "Smokey & the Bandit" trucks did have one.

The Revell/Monogram Kenworth W900 is the snap W900 with the Aerodyne sleeper. Here's one I'm working on. I'll finish it one of these days!!!

FILE0040.jpg

This is the 1991 reissue that's molded on orange. At least I think it was 1991. It has the same Caterpiller 3406 that is in the Revell/Monogram Peterbilt 359 snap kit.

As for the sleeper, yes the Revell of Germany 60" sleeper would be correct for the TV show version of the truck. If I remember correctly, the Revell of Germany kit also has the VIT interior which the TV show truck had.

the revell kw has the 60" sleeper, and eric at ppvintage has the suspension your looking for.

http://www.ppvintagekits.com/KITS-MAIN-INDEX/KITS-MAIN-INDEX.html

dennis

Thanks for that link, but I did not find the T Bar set up.I guess I can send him an e mail. Might not have it on the site yet.

Edited by dwc43