Model Cars Magazine Forum

McEwen Coors Corvette funny car

Hawk312

Ok, I am going to attempt a WIP on this, but with the rate at which I build, it may be a while til the next update. I am going to try to replicate Tom McEwens Coors Corvette funny car:

dnq_mcewen_pomona_82_750.jpg

I already have the Competition Resins body, which appears to be pretty decent, although I am working on the flares in front of the rear wheels which I feel should be more noticeable. I also have the Slixx decals which will be going on once I am satisfied with the body and have it painted.

I will be using the CR body, the frame and drivetrain will be from the Revell NEC funny car, Slixx decals, rear slicks from Pegasus, wheels from the `66 Malibu street rat kit, and other details from the BlueMax Mustang and Cop Out funny car kits. I will be shamelessly raping my Chuck Etchells Avenger build for test fitting.

Thanks to everyone on the tips for the super trick wheels. I am not sure yet if I am going to use the chrome ones from the Malibu kit, or paint the CR ones with Duplicolor chrome for a polished aluminum appearance. Here is what I have so far. I am test fitting everything before paint:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Here is the size difference between the Pegasus and kit rear slicks:

4.jpg

The kit tires appear way too small. The Pegasus slicks scale out to about 35".

I wanted to paint the frame gloss black, with semi-gloss or flat black side panels, and I didn`t want to risk a noticeable glue mess from the inside of the cockpit on the backside of these panels. So I used the panels as a template to cut thin panels out of sheet styrene, which will be glued to the frame and sprayed. Then the semi-gloss kit panels will be applied to the sheet styrene panels:

3.jpg

Thanks for the help guys!

I apologize for the slow progress on this. There are not enough hours in the day!

Anyway, here is the body. Notice the slightly exagurated flares in front of the rear wheels. I didn`t go to crazy with them since this is my first time working with a resin body. The color is Testors Classic White lacquer. You will have to trust me that the white is truly white and not yellow....I took these pics under incandescent light.

body1.jpg

body2.jpg

I am also at work on the frame and engine. Hopefully I`ll get more pics up soon.

Nice project, Corvette drag car is something you can't see every day... Yours is looking very good and that paintjob is looking awesome! Great! Don't really know, how those tires fit to the car, but I prefer those Pegasus ones... Thank you for sharing this, I like it very much.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again guys. I apologize for the slow progress. I am getting a little sidetracked with the Chi-Town Hustler kit (great kit!!!!!) I just started. ;):D

Anyway, I was holding up the stripe decals to the body, trying to get a perfect line for masking that would be covered by the decal, and just decided it would be easier to mask and paint all the stripes, which I did. The red is Testors "Flame Red" lacquer which went on great. After allowing to dry and a quick wet-sand (and a little touch up with a brush), I shot about 5 coats of duplicolor clear on it, which also went on great. Yes, for the purists out there, it will be inaccurate in that respect. I am going to be shamelessly wet-sanding and buffing this out to a high-gloss shine. You don`t paint a car red and then leave it dull. :P:D :D

Let me know what you think.

bodypainted2.jpg

bodypainted.jpg

bodypainted3.jpg