Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is your favorite mold making product?

So far I've tried Alumilite 10:1 QuickSet Silicone, and Smooth-On PMC 121/30 (1:1). The Alumilite worked awesome, but was a bit more expensive, so I figured I'd try the Smooth-On - unless I'm doing something totally wrong, the Smooth-On is complete ######.

The issue I had with the Smooth-On was that when it set up it stuck to my part, to the point where I had to destroy the mold to get the part out (even using mold release). The material was much tougher than the Alumilite, which made it less flexable. I think for pour type molds I'll definately stick with the Alumilite. Probably going to try their HSII next.

Has anyone try and of the 2 part mold puttys? That will be my next thing to try.

I use Smooth-on with great success. I don't know what PMC 121/30 is but if you want a 1:1 mix go with the oomoo line. When I had the store I sold Smooth-on and a lot of model guys used the oomoo.

I use Mold Max 30 but you do need a gram scale for it. Oh, ya, I have never used mold release, these are silicone.

AzTom

I did try the Alumilite because it's available locally out here but I did not care for it. A lot of guys do use it.

Edited by AzTom

I've been using Alumilites Quick Set and their High Strength 3. I have a preferrence for the HS3, as it is much stronger than the quick set as well as being far more flexable. Takes detail well, too, though i do have the occasional air bubble show in the mold. Not really the silicone's fault, more my lousy mold making skills. I have used the Mold Putty, it's not bad for open face molds, especially relatively flat parts. You do have to watch what you're doing, as it is easy to end up with a crease in the mold cavity if it kicks while you're molding the part. If you do try the putty, I suggest getting the regular Alumilite (purple) from the hobby shop over the Amazing brand at the craft stores. I've used boht, the Alumilite version seems to be somewhat more pliable when working it, and tougher once set up. Both brands are made by Alumilite.

I have recently picked up some Smooth-On products, I have the same PMC 121/30 that you have. The 2 molds I've made have varied wildly on quality. One took exelent detail, ad works pefectly, the other self destructed the fist time I cast a part in it. Not sure what I did wrong. I do like Smooth-Ons resin better, it seems to flow in the molds better with less air entrapment.

aluimilite is great stuff for the occasional caster. if your going to do more volume, smooth ons the way to go. with smooth on though, you will need more equipment to get quality results. pressure pots, vacuum chambers..them kinds of things

I just started casting and am using Smooth-On OOMOO and Smooth Cast 300 resin. Wheels are a pain but the bucket seats and fuel cells I've been doing look pretty good. I have an order in with Ma's Resin for some clear Aluminite with red dye so I can try casting taillights.

Did all you Aluminite users know that Ma's Resin sells the stuff at a discount? You may want to check his prices.

I just started casting and am using Smooth-On OOMOO and Smooth Cast 300 resin. Wheels are a pain but the bucket seats and fuel cells I've been doing look pretty good. I have an order in with Ma's Resin for some clear Aluminite with red dye so I can try casting taillights.

Did all you Aluminite users know that Ma's Resin sells the stuff at a discount? You may want to check his prices.

Thanks for the tip! I bought at HobbyLobby with 40% off coupon,which they just sent out again, so I might go re-stock.

I have not tried Alumilite, but Use Smooth-on products everyday.

I like Smooth-on mold max series 10-30 and smooth-cast resins (300 305-320 321) and Task 5.

I used Oomoo but moved onto the mold max once I was doing production stuff. Oomoo is fragile silicone but works well for the hobbyist caster.

Does Alumilite date their packages? Smooth-on does that with an ink stamp on the box. They say it has a one year shelf life.

That said I just poured some parts with 4 year old resin. ;)

AzTom

how do i get alumilite products catalog????? PaulT

The two places I order from for smooth-on products are "the engineer guy" based in georgia, and Reynolds advanced materials which has a few warehouses around the country.

They have one in boston, so I now use them because my items arrive next day for only a ground shipping price vs instead of the engineer guy which is 3 days ground due to distance. (both fast shipping businesses)

www.theengineerguy.com

www.reynoldsam.com

I decided to give the Smooth-On products a fair shake I should make sure I'm properly measuring, so I went and bought a scale today and started to tinker with making a mold of an AMT drag boat (also my first attempt at a 2 part mold for the bottom of the hull, but thats a different subject.

The mold came out great, however I did not use mold release, and the resin completely stuck into the mold, destroying it. I've never used any sort of mold release on my Alumilite molds, so I find this very weird. Is it possibly related to using Alumilite resin with Smooth-On mold?

On a side note, I really like using the scale for all parts of casting, it really helps in mixing the right amount of resin when pouring to avoid waste B)

I decided to give the Smooth-On products a fair shake I should make sure I'm properly measuring, so I went and bought a scale today and started to tinker with making a mold of an AMT drag boat (also my first attempt at a 2 part mold for the bottom of the hull, but thats a different subject.

The mold came out great, however I did not use mold release, and the resin completely stuck into the mold, destroying it. I've never used any sort of mold release on my Alumilite molds, so I find this very weird. Is it possibly related to using Alumilite resin with Smooth-On mold?

On a side note, I really like using the scale for all parts of casting, it really helps in mixing the right amount of resin when pouring to avoid waste B)

That's pretty weird :blink: since all mold rubbers are silicone based, even the quick curing ones. I've used different resins with different mold rubbers & never had the resin stick to them. As a factory rep for Alumilite I'll look into it a little more to see what may have caused it & post my findings here.

As a side note, if anyone out there needs 1oz mixing cups(smooth or graduated), I get them from a medical supply house for 1/2 a penny each. Be happy to share some with fellow casters for cost + postage. :)

Ian are you using smooth-on silicone?

What you describe happens when you use urethane mold material with urethane resin

I've used every product from the smooth-on Oomoo and mold max series and it has never once needed a mold release(unless my molds called for it when they approached the end of there life)