Model Cars Magazine Forum

What dia. styrene for frames and roll cages

DWR

I use several different diameters, personal preference only. I use .080 for the lower platform (tubes parallel and closest to ground), .062 for other main tubing, .047 and .025 for various supports. You have a project in the works?? Good luck if you do.

Thank you for the info. I plan on doing a couple of the 55 Chevy Pro Sportsman kits, I am going to do one with the 55 Chev body and a 2nd one with a 97 Ford Lightning pickup body.

I measured the parts on a 1987 Bob Glidden pro stock T-bird, and here's what I found (according to my handy-dandy micrometer):

Main frame - 2.49mm (0.098 in)

A-Arm struts - 1.53mm (0.06 in)

Roll cage - 2.36mm (0.093 in)

I decided to use the .125 for the main frame rails, .100 for frame cross members and the roll cage, and .80 for the support struts.

Edited by jsimmons

Are you building something that's got 1/25th or 1/24th origins? Since the Glidden cage members you mentioned are 1/24th, if you happen to be building to 1/25th scale, your proposed sizes will be a bit on the large side, depending on how fussy you are when building to scale. Most high end 1:1 roll cage and chassis members are 1-5/8" OD, if I'm not mistaken. In 1/25th, .062 is about about as close to scale as a guy can get. You obviously need to build with materials you're comfortable using, but just wanted to throw my 2-cents into the mix before it's too late.

Are you building something that's got 1/25th or 1/24th origins? Since the Glidden cage members you mentioned are 1/24th, if you happen to be building to 1/25th scale, your proposed sizes will be a bit on the large side, depending on how fussy you are when building to scale. Most high end 1:1 roll cage and chassis members are 1-5/8" OD, if I'm not mistaken. In 1/25th, .062 is about about as close to scale as a guy can get. You obviously need to build with materials you're comfortable using, but just wanted to throw my 2-cents into the mix before it's too late.

Right now, I'm building 1/24. I wish there was more 1/24 resin stuff available. When you have to "make do" with 1/25, things start to look a bit wacky...

The Ross Gibson engines are 1/25, I haven't actually seen one, but I imagine they would be WAY too small for my 1/24 projects.

Edited by jsimmons

• 2 months later...

Right now, I'm building 1/24. I wish there was more 1/24 resin stuff available. When you have to "make do" with 1/25, things start to look a bit wacky...

The Ross Gibson engines are 1/25, I haven't actually seen one, but I imagine they would be WAY too small for my 1/24 projects.

Hi everyone! This is my first post for the site, although I am a long time custom builder of scale stuff ranging from 1/64 all the way up to 1/10 scale. If you are going for scale IMHO you should stay around .060. As Futureattraction stated this will be right around 1 5/8" tubing, going up to .080 will put you at almost 2" 1/24 scale tubing.

I did some searching and one site stated they are building Pro Mod tube chassis in 1 5/8" and the smaller 1 1/4" tubing. Now I know some builders and even model companies will up size just due to the parts. But I have to say for me even the 1/16 scale Pro Mod I am working on going above these numbers throws the scale off if I jump to anything larger then .100 and the smaller .080 (which works out to be the same size diameter you are looking at).

But it really boils down to what you want to work with and what is easiest for your to handle.

Hi everyone! This is my first post for the site, although I am a long time custom builder of scale stuff ranging from 1/64 all the way up to 1/10 scale. If you are going for scale IMHO you should stay around .060. As Futureattraction stated this will be right around 1 5/8" tubing, going up to .080 will put you at almost 2" 1/24 scale tubing.

I did some searching and one site stated they are building Pro Mod tube chassis in 1 5/8" and the smaller 1 1/4" tubing. Now I know some builders and even model companies will up size just due to the parts. But I have to say for me even the 1/16 scale Pro Mod I am working on going above these numbers throws the scale off if I jump to anything larger then .100 and the smaller .080 (which works out to be the same size diameter you are looking at).

But it really boils down to what you want to work with and what is easiest for your to handle.

I saw your '66 Nova on the other forum! I haven't checked it for a while if there have been any updates, but please post the build here if you can :angry:

The math is pretty simple. For 1/25 scale you just multiply the size of styrene rod by 25 to find out what size it would be in 1:1 scale.

.025" = .625"

.040" = 1"

.047" = 1.175"

.062" = 1.55"

.080" = 2"

So, if the roll bar or frame brace on the real car is made from 1.5" tube. use .062" styrene rod.