Model Cars Magazine Forum

quick question about paints

I prefer Plasti-Kote over Dupli-Color primer, it's a little less "hot" chemically than Dupli-Color, which can cause problems on some of the softer plastics.

Plasti-Kote's a little tough to find (most Car-Quest stores carry it,) but it's worth seeking out. Generally, the sandable primer is very nice. It's a bit lighter in consistency, so it doesn't cover detail as much. The white sandable primer almost doesn't even need sanding.

Another thing to keep in mind- Dupli-Color has reformulated its paint over the last year, and the "gray" sandable primer is now almost black- not the ideal color of primer for most applications.

Plasti-Kote can also be used under any and all lacquers and enamels without any difficulty.

Charlie Larkin

I can't personally find Plasti-Kote primer anywhere's, so I always use duplicolors sandable grey primer. It works great and it always gets the job done good. The primer I bought two days ago is grey, and they just got it in the store I always buy it from.

Another thing to keep in mind- Dupli-Color has reformulated its paint over the last year, and the "gray" sandable primer is now almost black- not the ideal color of primer for most applications.

That sounds like the "Hot Rod Gray" primer. I think their normal gray primer is still the same.

You can use automotive paints on models but you need to use the specific primer with it. Some of the "hotter" paints will craze the plastic. Use a barrier/sealer and primer and you'll be good to go.

Do look into a automotive grade respirator though (and really for all painting chores) as they are more harmful than model paints.

Paul

AMEN on the respirator advice Paul. I wished that I had been using on all these years as those fumes are also bad for your liver. I really enjoyed ALL the lacquer fumes, but I now realize that I would have been much better off using a respirator while spray painting.

I would add this; spray light coats, both primer and paint, especially if using solvent basecoats. I prefer waterborne basecoats because it is less agressive on the plastic. Now the clearcoat, here you can spray wet coats (I use 2 part urethane clear and usually spray one light coat, then one wet coat). Let the basecoat dry a few hours before spraying the clearcoat. Sometimes I use a hair dryer to help the primer/paint flash dry faster so it wont have the time to attack the plastic. But don't use the hair dryer for the clear.