Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Hours of LeMans

Guys don't forget about radio Le Mans. They have all sorts of coverage we don't even hear about on their website. I listen to radio Le Mans while watching the race and you get so much more information than from Speeds coverage.

radiolemans.com

Radiolemans is great. I listen to them and watch speed.

I respectfully disagree, I think there is a viable contingent of sports car enthusiasts here. I see a significant amount sports car models represented too...

You're correct-my bad! This is a greater response than I expected-and very welcomed!

The sole Ford has had a number of it's own problems but is out and running last I heard.

I know-I live in the past. Ford's emphasis today is Focus-sized and smaller-globally.

Dunno how they're gonna sell all those Excretions, Explorers and F250's though...

Audi takes Pole!

#2 Audi

#3 Audi

#9 Pug

#8 Pug

#1 Audi which crashed again last lap and is all deranged once more.

#7 Pug

#10 Pug

Barring problems should be a great race only 6 tenths of a second seperate the 6 works cars.

Edited by CAL

Audi takes Pole!

#2 Audi

#3 Audi

#9 Pug

#8 Pug

#1 Audi which crashed again last lap and is all deranged once more.

#7 Pug

#10 Pug

Barring problems should be a great race only 6 tenths of a second seperate the 6 works cars.

The #3 Audi was the one which crashed on the last lap and #1 Audi was p2. Is the Legends race going to be streamed live anywhere ? I thought I heard Eurosport mention it. B)

The #3 Audi was the one which crashed on the last lap and #1 Audi was p2. Is the Legends race going to be streamed live anywhere ? I thought I heard Eurosport mention it. B)

my mistake.

From ulimatecarpage.com on Thursday's qualifying round of the Legends. Sad to hear about Moss hanging up his helmet after 60 years...

"Earlier on Thursday the supporting 'Le Mans Legend' cars took to the track for their one-hour qualifying. The field was a mix of evocative sports racers of the 1950s and '60s and included several class and outright winners like the 1959 Aston Martin DBR1 and 1955 Jaguar D-Type. The big news, however, that Sir Stirling Moss announced his retirement from competition after over 60 years behind the wheel of all sorts of competition cars. He completed one lap in his Porsche RS61 and concluded that he was no longer up to it, pulled into the pitlane and hung up his helmet at the spot. Another historic occurrence was the return to Le Mans of the glorious Mazda 787B that won the race exactly twenty years ago. Yesterday actor Patrick Dempsey drove the howling machine and it will be back out just before the race on Saturday."

Anyway, here's Saturday's schedule (don't forget that US Eastern time is 6 hours earlier than the times below, so if the Legends race is streamed live it would start at 4 am EDT. They'll probably show highlights on SPEED):

09:00hrs - 09:45hrs Warm-up for 24 Heures du Mans ®

10:05hrs - 10:50hrs Race Le Mans Legends

11:15hrs - 12:00hrs Race Challenge Ferrari Trophée Pirelli

12:10hrs - 12:30hrs Exhibition Le Mans for the future

14:22hrs Starting procedures for the 24 Heures du Mans ®

15:00hrs Start of the 79th race of the 24 Heures du Mans ®

Edited by sjordan2

Thanks Skip. I'm sure Speed will show a highlighted version of the Legends race sometime in the future. I'm hopin Eurosport will stream it also since they have the quali. sessions. I may try and get up to check and see. Then my son and I are doing a 24 hr. build as we have for several years while staying up and watching it all. It's always a great time with friends when we do this. B)

Cal, unfortunately not much audience here for sports car racing. Thanks for the update.

How do you think interest is created? Just cause people haven't watched a certain form of racing doesn't mean that they might not try something new. I think the drama of teams/drivers/cars in a 24 hour race is quite interesting.

All in all - racing is inspiring. From mud-bogs to F1 - we can all learn goal setting, patience, tragedy and triumph. Winning or losing is something we can all identify with.

Thanks Skip. I'm sure Speed will show a highlighted version of the Legends race sometime in the future. I'm hopin Eurosport will stream it also since they have the quali. sessions. I may try and get up to check and see. Then my son and I are doing a 24 hr. build as we have for several years while staying up and watching it all. It's always a great time with friends when we do this. :P

That is SO COOL. It's stuff like that which makes the hobby so much fun – whether it's building or collecting models or being a rabid motorsports fan. This is usually a very solitary endeavor, and enjoying it together is a big fat deal.

Six cars qualifying within half a second. They could have rolled the dice, it wouldn't have made a difference. What makes things interesting is that they smashed up two Audis in the process, which certainly didn't make them better, whereas the Peugeot guys didn't as much as break a fingernail. IIRC never before were two competitors this close together.

Six cars qualifying within half a second. They could have rolled the dice, it wouldn't have made a difference. What makes things interesting is that they smashed up two Audis in the process, which certainly didn't make them better, whereas the Peugeot guys didn't as much as break a fingernail. IIRC never before were two competitors this close together.

I guess it shows just how hard Audi is pushing, and neither were no small crashes. IIRC the Pugs had that much over the Audis alone. This ought to be interesting. Audi doesn't seem quite as well oiled as past years: wrecked two cars had that PS leaking into the cockpit, first year in long time running a closed cockpit.

The Pugs did flat spot some tires. It does make you wonder if they were holding back just a bit at the cost of pole position.

I guess will see what kind of race it's going to be the first couple laps.

I guess it shows just how hard Audi is pushing, and neither were no small crashes. IIRC the Pugs had that much over the Audis alone. This ought to be interesting. Audi doesn't seem quite as well oiled as past years: wrecked two cars had that PS leaking into the cockpit, first year in long time running a closed cockpit.

The Pugs did flat spot some tires. It does make you wonder if they were holding back just a bit at the cost of pole position.

I guess will see what kind of race it's going to be the first couple laps.

Rumor has it that the rumor that Peugeot qualified with their race setup is true.