Model Cars Magazine Forum

What happened to scalemotorcars.com ?

No worries guys...SMC was undergoing a switch to a dedicated sever, there were some data base problems etc. Anyway the host and the admin. are working to get it all straightened out and back up. Check in periodically....we'll be back up as soon as possible.

Regardless of what it takes, SMC will be back on-line soon.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

No worries guys...SMC was undergoing a switch to a dedicated sever, there were some data base problems etc. Anyway the host and the admin. are working to get it all straightened out and back up. Check in periodically....we'll be back up as soon as possible.

Regardless of what it takes, SMC will be back on-line soon.

I get different default page information every day, and I assume this is because the site has been taken offline. Do you know if the url will change, and therefore my bookmark?

As a Barracuda "investor", seeing the site offline makes me nervous.

My question is, regardless of whether or not you get one Cuda body back for your investment (in my opinion the future of this project is very iffy), what will you put the body on at this scale?

And what is your opinion of the future of the Cobra project? To me, this is not only months, but possibly years away from reaching reality, if ever. I am not at all encouraged by the difficulties encountered by Syd.

No intention to dis TDR, but this is all looking very sketchy and pie in the sky.

I would further ask if anyone has experience of the differences between their replacement engine for the 1/8 XKE and the kit engine.

Edited by sjordan2

My question is, regardless of whether or not you get one Cuda body back for your investment (in my opinion the future of this project is very iffy), what will you put the body on at this scale?

And what is your opinion of the future of the Cobra project? To me, this is not only months, but possibly years away from reaching reality, if ever. I am not at all encouraged by the difficulties encountered by Syd.

No intention to dis TDR, but this is all looking very sketchy and pie in the sky.

I would further ask if anyone has experience of the differences between their replacement engine for the 1/8 XKE and the kit engine.

The 'cuda will go on a custom pro/street chassis.

I have no idea about the Cobra.

I don't have the Jag engine.

edited out the rest. I'm really bummed out about not having a 'cuda yet.

Edited by LDO

Lee, I've set the entire months of Aug. & Sept. aside to get the cuda into glass, ready to ship. It along with 2 other projects I've been working on will be buttoned up in that time period.

As far as the cuda goes, it will ship "body only".........any additional goodies for the body (dash, grille, wheels, interior pieces will be determined at that time. You investors will however be receiving a dash board and a few other parts when the masters have been fit to the castings.

The TDR Roadster isn't years out.......in fact it's being broken up into sub assemblies now for those that want to build one in installments or perhaps don't want an entire kit.

Keep in mind guys this isn't a skill level one kit, sure Syd has run into some issues, that was the whole point of having him build a prototype. Running changes have and are still being made been to make assembly a little easier.

If you're looking for a kit that's simply assemble, paint and call it a day...the Roadster isn't for you. It's going to require fitting and some fabrication depending on what you want to do with it.

Looks like there may also be a curside kit for those that just want a less involved shelf model.

Skip, I'll answer the question about the XK engine in another post.

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Lee, I've set the entire months of Aug. & Sept. aside to get the cuda into glass, ready to ship. It along with 2 other projects I've been working on will be buttoned up in that time period.

As far as the cuda goes, it will ship "body only".........any additional goodies for the body (dash, grille, wheels, interior pieces will be determined at that time. You investors will however be receiving a dash board and a few other parts when the masters have been fit to the castings.

The TDR Roadster isn't years out.......in fact it's being broken up into sub assemblies now for those that want to build one in installments or perhaps don't want an entire kit.

Keep in mind guys this isn't a skill level one kit, sure Syd has run into some issues, that was the whole point of having him build a prototype. Running changes have and are still being made been to make assembly a little easier.

If you're looking for a kit that's simply assemble, paint and call it a day...the Roadster isn't for you. It's going to require fitting and some fabrication dependending on what you want to do with it.

Looks like there may also be a curside kit for those that just want a less involved shelf model.

Skip, I'll answer the question about the XK engine in another post.

Thanks, that's all good to hear. I'm particularly interested in knowing about the XKE engine since I have a few of the 1/8 Monogram kits in my stash.

Skip, as you know the engine in the Monogram/Revell is pretty much plain vanilla, don't assume I'm taking a cheap shot at R/M as I think the modelers get a lot of bang for the bucks with their large scale kits.

The XK that TDR produces wasn't designed specically for the R/M XKE as a replacement engine. The TDR version has Weber carbs and the TDR trans, block etc. has way more detail than the kit piece.

Most of the R/M Jag kit stuff I have has been cut up, altered or used so I can't give you in depth comparision shots. I do however have a partially built TDR kit and if you want I can post pics of it along with TDR pics of the kit and an example that Syd built for us etc. Also keep in mind that TDR can now supply items in a newer material that requires very litte prep work before painting. Yeah...it costs a tad more but it's something that we're working with.

Just tell me what you're looking for and I'll do what I can to answer your questions.....fair enough?

Edited by GrandpaMcGurk

Many thanks. I just went to your catalog pics of the engine again and studied them in more detail, and I can see some of the differences you're talking about. Very nice work. I've got to ponder the Weber part for a while, since I've done all my research on the Series 1 3.8. I appreciate your responses.

PS: Any progress to report on getting the site running?

Edited by sjordan2

Many thanks. I just went to your catalog pics of the engine again and studied them in more detail, and I can see some of the differences you're talking about. Very nice work. I've got to ponder the Weber part for a while, since I've done all my research on the Series 1 3.8. I appreciate your responses.

PS: Any progress to report on getting the site running?

Not much longer........waiting on files, there will be a long version explaining what caused the delay posted on-site when it's back up.

Don't ya just love 'puters?

Not much longer........waiting on files, there will be a long version explaining what caused the delay posted on-site when it's back up.

Don't ya just love 'puters?

We're back, kind of....

Here's the deal... SMC outgrew its hosting and we had to move the entire site to a new dedicated server with more speed and an updated version of the core code. As of Friday most of the move was complete but a goofy tech at our host made the monumental mistake of completely deleting the entire site and its database as well as nearly all the backup databases.

I just finished restoring the site to the same status as of Friday morning. Tomorrow Ill get back to work finishing some loose ends.

Ill be up front and let everyone know that we did loose most links to the SMC gallery. Honestly at this point theres only one way to fix it but we'll jump that hurtle when we get to it. Otherwise all other functions, posts and attachments are working as they always did, just ALLOT faster....

More updates shortly and thanks to MCM for letting us post this thread. Now back to building.....

Edited by scalemotorcars

As of Friday most of the move was complete but a goofy tech at our host made the monumental mistake of completely deleting the entire site and its database as well as nearly all the backup databases.

I just finished restoring the site to the same status as of Friday morning. Tomorrow Ill get back to work finishing some loose ends.

I hate it when that happens.

(Actually, it did happen the day before we were supposed go live with a client's new site at a major trade show. Our IT department and outside web developers were fired in short order.)

• 4 years later...

I know allot of SMC members are also members here so I wanted to post a quick update about the site. ( I hope thats ok)

To be completely blunt, SMC has outgrown its hosting package and the host has shut down the site until I can either upgrade to a larger package or move the site to another host. Unfortunately last years funding goal was a complete failure and there's no money to pay for either. Once again Im doing the best I can to raise the money on my own but its going to take some time. Hopefully the site will be back up by mid March, maybe sooner. 

If you have questions please reach out on the SMC Facebook page