Model Cars Magazine Forum

what engine is in the dodge A-100?

Aaahhh! Thank you. That was one of those things that was going to drive me batty.

:D Batty...

The Deora did actually start out as an A-100, though, and the A-Bros made it look pretty with a ton of Ford parts. Other than the fact the engine is missing an air cleaner, it is a very complete and nicely detailed piece for its era.

Didn't this kit also used to come with a straight 6? If not, what kit am I thinking of? I know there was a truck kit out there that used to have a V engine and a straight 6. Deora maybe?

this kit has 2 V8s, that i learned today is a 273 LA and what i believe is a 426 hemi (though it may very well be a 385 hemi, the hilborn system seems more era correct for that vintage..a desoto firepower maybe?)

I did not know that! I thought the Deora was a complete hand fab as far as the body. Dang it! You made me learn something today! :D

Indeed, though there was quite a bit of hand-fabbed stuff on it, no doubt!

1449448675_3e83849d71-vi.jpg

The roof was actually made from Ford station wagon pieces (the front 'hatch is a '63/4 Ford wagon liftgate), and the exhaust outlets on the sides are '65/6 Mustang taillamp bezels.

There's actually a guy doing a recreation of the Deora (he might even have it done now, I heard of this a few years back), and he's doing it exactly the way the A-Bros did it-

custom_hot_rodsdodge_deora_van-vi.jpg

I looked in my kit and the Hemi has a 727 torqueflite trans behind it. I has what appears to be a manual transmission on the back of the small block V8. It looks like some generic thing. Not anything I've seen on any Chrysler and I've seen them all. I worked for Chrysler for 41 years. Ken

the transmission mount in the A-100's is unique in that it hangs from above rather than sit on a crossmember.

that mount is long gone...it interfered with the build this was going into (no details revealed yet...not untill i come up with a name...but im thinking 3-4-8 or something)

the trans mount was a round bushing that hung off the top of the tailshaft. What lindberg has for a trans and mount is a joke, but unfortunately sometimes that's what you get with lindberg. For the most part I stay away from their stuff, but sometimes they're the only game in town and you have to bite the bullet. Ken

the only reason i bought it was that it just might be the best bang for the buck model out there

i used my 40% off coupon at hobby lobby so i got it for around 10 dollars

if i were to build this as a stock A-100 that gives me a nice set of rims for the parts box AND the beginnings of a one-off race car that runs a hilborn injected hemi (cant go wrong there) allready connected to who knows what posidrive rear end that comes in its own subframe to boot

all i gotta do is add a front axle and something to hold onto and im set :)