Model Cars Magazine Forum

spray booth cfm

I have seen this before and wanted to make one, but this guys is crazy! To think that he made all of those calculations and figures is nuts. But then again, to be effective maybe it should be that way?!

I've been told that before (crazy, nuts? thanks...I think :) ), but to be effective and take some of the experimentation out of the process, yes, you need to have those numbers. Oddly enough, some booth builders will never know how well their booths could work had they taken the time to figure this stuff out. Not saying that it's impossible to build a good booth without those numbers, but based on what I've read and been told, there are plenty that would do a better job.

FWIW, just trying to help.

Klaus

One safety note regarding spray booths. If you are using this booth in the same room as where an oil or gas-fired water heater or furnace is located you need to make sure you have an inlet for fresh air into that room. Open a window on the other side of the room. Otherwise the booth could draw carbon monoxide out of your furnace or water heater.

The other day I was painting in my room. When I finished I cleaned the brush with a wide open nozzle shooting lacquer thinner. My wife was sitting 20 feet away through an open door reading the paper. I asked her if she could smell anything and she replied that she could not. Scientific no, but I think I'm OK. :shock:

My fan came from an old central air furnace. It has a pair of squirrel cages and I removed one side. I fitted a 4 inch intake hose that draws from below my work surface then exhausts via an 8 inch hose to the window. It is sealed to the outside.

I used those very instructions from the link (thanks Klaus) several years ago. I built a downdraft style booth for around $120 bucks and it was awesome.

I'm actually on my Gen 2 design now (basically just wanted to improve a few things after building the 1st). 14x25" stage so I can use a standard furnace filter. I don't remember which Dayton blower I bought now but going with a downdraft I got away with a lot less CFMs. Here she is just before I put here into service.

ef6bac94.jpg

I used those very instructions from the link (thanks Klaus) several years ago...

You're very welcome Kyle, I'm glad you found it helpful. I've wanted to rewrite that article for some time now, but I can't even find time to glue engine block halves together anymore :| .

BTW, the Grainger 4C444 shaded pole blower has been discontinued. The replacement blower is the 4YJ31 permanent split capacitor blower. It has basically the same specs as the 4C444. The reason I bring this up is that the 4C444 seemed to be the most popular blower to use a booth. I've had several folks ask recently about a replacement model. FYI, the 4YJ31 is it.

Klaus

BTW, the Grainger 4C444 shaded pole blower has been discontinued. The replacement blower is the 4YJ31 permanent split capacitor blower. It has basically the same specs as the 4C444. The reason I bring this up is that the 4C444 seemed to be the most popular blower to use a booth. I've had several folks ask recently about a replacement model. FYI, the 4YJ31 is it.

Thanks again :wink: