Model Cars Magazine Forum

How hard is it to do a resin kit from an original?

I've recently won a grail of mine from Ebay and I'm wondering if it would be a difficult undertaking to make a resin copy of the (long out of production) kit? It's from a manufacturer that hasn't been in business for years as far as I know. I'm just curious but I think it could make for some healthy hobby-related discussion. :huh::D

Edited by Tonioseven

What kit did you win? I know a few casters and what they like to keep in there line as it's like some will do race cars, Some will do Coatch built cars and some street rods and then a couple will do customs and so on. Each caster stay's with in there own line some what and have a few people building masters of what goes in there styling.

Chas Cochran

Deco Rides USA 1/24th Scale

Thanks for the replies fellas. I recently won an old Johan '70 Toronado after trying many times. I know this one is a hard one to find but after seeing a couple of BEAUTIFUL builds of these cars, I know I'm not the only one that would love to have this kit in their collection. I can see me building at least 3 of them myself. I've contacted one caster already but I'm always interested in other options.

Edited by Tonioseven

Definitely a learning curve, and not an inexpensive one at that. For starters, unless that kit is worth more than say, $150, it would not be cost effective to try and copy it in resin--due to the expensive nature of both urethane resin and the silicone RTV rubber needed for molds. Additionally, you would necessarily goe through a "learning curve" with something as complex in shape as a body shell--most likely, your first piece ever done won't be as good as the original (experienced resin-casters can, and do, achieve that result) until you've experienced the making of several castings.

A better alternative might be to scope out the various resin-casters, see if someone hasn't already repopped this kit (it would be helpful if we knew what the kit in question here is!).

Art

I won a Johan 1970 Oldsmobile Toronado. I'm interested in have a reputable caster repop it; I can barely find time to build, let alone cast things! Lol!! :lol: I would just be interested in having the original returned along with a copy or two for myself.

johan-c1970-70tornadobox.JPG

Edited by Tonioseven

I didn't think this kit was all that rare,but everybodys grail is different. What did you pay for this IIMA? RTV rubber for the molds would be about $8-$12 a pound and the body and hood would be about 7-10 pounds,Then there is all the rest,glass,interior etc. Resin isn't all that much,but it still adds up. I think I have a couple of those kits still sealed.