Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Dodge 2 Dr Ht.

Hypermung

I've also recently received some nice stuff from Modelhaus. Nice chromed tail light housings & lenses, correct 59 spinner hubcaps (very nice), dash assembly & steering wheel. But I did stuff up though. I was going to use the interior from the 58 Plymouth, but on closer inspection the door trims & seat covers are all wrong (of course), & some idiot forgot to order the 59 Dodge interior tub from Modelhaus @ the same time..... DOH... I guess I'll just have to wait another 8 or 9 weeks until it's made & sent to me. I suppose that will give me some time to detail the engine & under body.recents006.jpg I also got some photo etched parts, some of which may find it's way into the Dodgerecents009.jpg

who makes the kit??

The kit itself is a 1980's re-issue (Excell, I think?) of the original Johan kit, long out of production, but they do come up on ebay from time to time. But they NEVER go cheaply. You can generally find factory built re-issues all the time though, & then just disassemble it as they're only held together with screws. Co-incidently, if you compare the 80's re-issue next to an original, the Johan is about 1/4" shorter than the re-issue??.. New tooling?.. The re-issues don't have an interior, but Modelhaus make an interior tub. Modelhaus also do a 59 Dodge convertible kit that is very nice. I don't have one of those (YET) lol

I find your Dodge model project very interesting as I have also X-el Dodge on the works. Mine is only curbside... you are going the more advanced way.

I have Modelhaus copy of Original Johan 59 Dodge kit interior. Nice casting, but little shallow. Still looks reasonable good detail painted. When you compare Johan body to your 1:1 gem do you think rear wheel openings might be little off in kit body?

Looks somewhat heavy. There is so much space between side molding and rear wheel opening lip?

I opened up mine to better match my reference pictures. Hard to define what is correct look. Maybe totally unnecessary modification? I have couple of X-el reissues and both have very heavy molding lines on sides of front bumber. Difficult to get rid of them without new chrome plating. There is long way to ship them to Chrome tech from Finland.

You are one happy man to own real 59 d ht. It is one of my all time favourites. Unfortunately I should have to sell my current summer ride 65 Impala SS, if I ever could afford (and find) that Virgil Exner masterful design study.

Edited by fender6575

Great work here, Glenn and your Coronet is stunning! Better watch it though, having a 1/1 in your driveway is bound to lead to a serious case of AMS (Advanced Modeling Syndrome!)

The '59 Dodge, along with their brethren from '57-'58 are among my favorite cars and I've got two of the original Johan annual kits one of which I started working on a long time ago. To fender6575's comment about the rear wheel opening, he is correct, and since it's really the only place where Johan's body seems obviously wrong, it's well worth fixing.

As far as the difference in length between warped acetate promo and frictions versus the styrene original kit and X-el reissues, that is due to the fact that acetate shrinks. The warpage is caused by the variation in shrinkage over the differing thicknesses and curves of the body. Styrene and acetate bodies were produced using the same mold.

Keep it going! I'm looking forward to seeing more.

I like your car very much. I have a question for you . I thought that all cars in Australia had to be converted to right hand drive? Did they change that law?

I don't know about Aussie cars, but here in the states, one can drive a right hand drive car as long as there are mirrors on both sides (at least here in PA). His car has both mirrors, so it may be the case as well in Australia regarding left hand drive cars.

I like your car very much. I have a question for you . I thought that all cars in Australia had to be converted to right hand drive? Did they change that law?

They have changed the laws over here whereby any car can be kept LHD if it's older than (I think) about 1986?. You can still import anything after that year, but it must be convertad to RHD. But there's NO WAY I'm going to pull that beautiful LHD dash out to put in a plain RHD 58 Dodge dash in it because thats what all the Aussie assembled 59's got.

Love the progress on the model, and really dig the 1:1. That would be an attention grabber here in the States, I'll bet it's a neck-snapper in Australia!

Yeah your'e right... Most just stand there with their mouth agape.... The kids are the funniest though 'LOOK MUM.It's the batmobile'