Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Are You Preparing for the Winter Months?

Doctor, I hate winter in Chicago but I am excited to get back to working on my model projects as well as resin casting. Summer brings many projects around the house and being outdoors with the wife, so modeling gets the back burner. Starting this weekend I'll be back on some modeling projects and pouring new molds to get back into some resin. Really looking forward to it.

What about the good Doctor himself?

I have about a dozen painted bodies, and I plan on finishing most of them between now and next Spring. Then it will be time for some Spring cleaning, etc . . .

I'm just curious if anyone else stocks up on enough styrene to feed their styrene addictions during the months of hibernation! LOL!

I'll be making one last attempt to get the little turd Nissan back in order <_< (in the case that I need 4WD). Sticky throttle cable, burns oil like there's no tomorrow, internal friction slows the starter down, and it has no reverse :lol: . We'll see how THAT goes, pretty soon that little 720 pickup will be sitting on a K5 Blazer chassis ^_^ . Still have to winterize my wife's car (coolant change etc.) and clean up the messes around the apartment building. With the little extra time I find between school, house chores and winterizing, I get as much painting done as possible. I don't like to use the hallway as my paint booth, if I must, I spray outside on a dry cold day and bring it right back inside.

Got plenty of styrene and supplies so I should be ready to go! Lots of projects I plan on wraping up in the next couple months.

I'll be making one last attempt to get the little turd Nissan back in order <_< (in the case that I need 4WD). Sticky throttle cable, burns oil like there's no tomorrow, internal friction slows the starter down, and it has no reverse :lol: .

They call it "character". Unless it's a Ferrari (which do all this from new), then they call it "Fascination Ferrari". If it was an English car, they'd call it "typical rubbish".

The weather here stays pretty darn nice so I don't really have to worry about stocking up on painted bodies. But I'm going to FINALLY buy myself a permanent desk for just my modeling. I've wanted one my entire modeling life and I've always used a card table, kitchen table, coffee table.....whatever flat surface I can get my hands on. I find I don't model as much because I have to drag all of my stuff out and then put it all back away. It's a real pain in the butt. It will be sooo nice when I can just walk up to or walk away from my desk!! I told the wifey that it's going to be all mine and that I'm not sharing! :lol:

I have already cut, split and stacked about twenty cords of wood.

prepped my F250 & The H3 for winter driving, and putting new Goodyear Wranglers on the wifes Nissan Xterra today. The cars are winterized, and ready for their seven month nap.

AND

I have painted a bunch of kits. I have a dozen bodies painted..

Mostly Ford stuff ('67 GT 500, '68 GT 350, '73 Mach 1, '67 Fairlane, '95 F150, '32 Ford Coupe)

a few Mopars ('69 Dart GTS, '68 Charger R/T, '64 Belvedere)

and a couple of Chevy's ('70 1/2 Camaro, Boyds Chevy Pick Up, '65 Chevelle Z16).

so my winter building schedule is moving right along.

of course, it has been winter here already for about a month.

LOL! Christian, I was wondering when someone was going to chime in on the truth of the matter. It doesn't get THAT cold here (never snows) but since I was born on a tropical island (I don't know how many of you know where the Island of Doctor Moreau is?) I fare pretty well, but the weather changes and it ruins any chance of painting outside, and I tend not to paint indoors, at least not the shiny jobs . . . which is why I stock up on those . . .

Keep your own comments coming! Thank you.

I put styrene...oops, I mean plastic on my windows, clean the gutters...arrgh!, put old thrift store blankets along the bottom of the garage door ( my shop ) and this year wear a thermal shirt or something coz I got too much metal in my back!! :blink::huh:

I'm a golf professional and thus my hours go way down in the winter - which means I have MUCH more time to devote to model building. I'm gonna try to not buy any kits for some time. I have about 4 in progress that should keep me occupied easily thru xmas.

Winter doesn't stop me from painting outside. I'd rather rattle can a body when the air is crisp and dry, like on a cold clear night. Best part, no dust, leaves or mosquitoes to land in the paint!! I then leave the freshly painted body in the cold garage to cure overnight then bring it inside to the basement cave. Works for me. Just need to be aware of any wind blowing snow off teh roof unexpectedly (don't ask me how I know).

I only need to stock up on paint and glue (Tenak and super glue) as I have plenty of kits on hand to choose from!