Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 model trucks and three scratch built trailers

made from scratch built plastic and wood inserts for the deck

post-9046-0-08571200-1333762471_thumb.jp gmc crackerbox with scratch built lowboy trailer

post-9046-0-23433400-1333762476_thumb.jp international with scratch hand built extendable drop deck (slides in an out to your own size)

post-9046-0-35504200-1333762489_thumb.jp scratch hand built belly dump trailer with kenworth

post-9046-0-12728700-1333762484_thumb.jp

Edited by williamchevelleman1972

• 1 month later...

I love the doulble drop! I am doing a freightliner coe like my grandpa's, He pulled a double drop/lowboy as he called it. Looks spot on to your w/o the stretch. can i ask what kit or what your plat form was? That is exactly what i want, thinking of using the fruehauf flatbed and chopping it up but any help is greatly appreciatted.

Great looking models William ;) . I drove a few IH 4070's and Transtar's and had the chance to drive a crackerbox once. It has a Detroit Diesel 318 with a 5 speed transmission and a two speed rear end. It looked like a tandem axle tractor, but in reality only the front axle was powered, the rear axle was known as a pusher axle and was only there so the truck could be licensed for 80,000 lbs. Since it had arm strong steering, you had to be careful you didn't crack your knuckles on that front windshield. I don't remember the actual size of that steering wheel, but it was big :D The three scratch built trailers look awesome. I never pulled a drop deck or grain trailer but did pull an Fruehauf 40' to 65' extendable trailer for a few years hauling 65' "H" beams and "I" beams for USS. I'm not sure if it was the same with the extendable drop decks, but on the extendable Fruehauf flatbeds, the first extension hole was set at 42', the next hole was set at 45' and the remaining holes were in 5 foot increments up to 65'. The emergency and service brake lines had quick disconnects like the kind used on air tools and there was also a plug at each extension hole for the light plug. A couple of trailers I pulled had manual release levers and the rest were all air actuated, that looked like pancakes controlling the pins. Very nice Job William, your truck models brought back some nice memories :)