Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opinions on Binks Model 7 spray gun

Title says it all. In the late '60's & early '70's custom painter/body and fender guys all I knew mentioned this gun as the holy grail . I did all right with a DeVilbiss,(borrowed at that) and never got around to acquiring that gun.

Any painters here ever use it? How would it stand up to todays guns. I have an opportunity to get one N.I.B. for silly money.

Absolutely , buy it ! I have one that is over 30 years old ( I bought it new ) and it still works better than any of the new guns I've tried . The gravity feed and HVLP guns are nice , but " Old Faithful " has never failed me . And rebuild kits are easy to find .

When you say " Silly Money " , do you mean a good price ?

I used one for years, it's the best gun for shooting anything. Metallics,Pearls,Candies,Urethanes,Lacquers and Enamels. It's often referred to as a "paint hog" because everyone now uses HVLP's. I would buy it, it's a very reliable spray gun.

There was a time when all body seams on cars were done with lead....even at the factory.....customizers really epitomized what you could do with lead in the 1950's....where do you think the term "lead sled" was derived? Lead and tallow work was a learned skill; I grew up doing it; as well as spraying nitro-cellulose laquer from a heated ....yes heated gun....My how times have changed. The advent of plastic and polymer fillers made the jobs easier and faster; which increases production margin; which is what manufacturers are striving for now....even welding is now taking a back seat to "bonded" bodies and parts. todays multi-part paints offer so many more choices; it's hard not to embrace the technology...when you see a car at pebble beach; do you think the restorer painted with period appropriate paint???? Heck no; they are doing the new high tech finish for the superior look and quality...The binks guns have been around for my whole life; and although I own a bunch of the HVLP and gravity feed; the old binks guns always get the job done; and done well at that...matt

Edited by monkeyclaw