Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help please.

I just bought the 1950 Chevrolet Texaco 3100 Pickup Truck and need a little help. I bought some Tamiya 1/35 scale sandbags for the bed of it and I have 2 questions. How many full sandbags could a truck like this hold, and how many should I put iin there? I was thinking putting like 5 or 6 kinda thrown in there but I'm not to sure.

You have to keep in mind, those trucks were built far heavier than todays trucks are. I would say that a 1/2 ton from the '50s is easily equivalent to a light duty 3/4 ton modern truck, maybe even a bit heavier duty. Those trucks were meant to be used as TRUCKS, not an overglorified passenger car with really big open trunk.

I've loaded 1000 pounds in the back of my '55 3200, didn't even squat the springs.

Here's the specs for the base model '50 3104 pickup; GVW is 4600 pounds. That's the Gross Vehicle Weight, the combination of the truck itself with a full load. The Empty Wieght of the 3104 is 3175 pounds. That includes a full feul tank and all fluids. That leaves you 1425 pounds of load capacity (including driver/passengers). Considering that the kit is tooled with RP 267 Auxilliary rear Springs (overloads), that bumps the GVW to about 5000 pounds, or 1825 pounds of load capacity.