Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 Ford/GMC 10-ton trucks

I want to build several 10-ton dump trucks that we had on our farm in my youth. I am especially interested in the 56, 67 & 72 Ford F-800's. Short of buying pickups and changing the nose, does anyone know of any cabs coming out? As for changing the nose, has anyone done so? I could use some pointers, or would be willing to consider buying your attempts. I am serious, let me know.

For the '56 you could start with a Revell F-100, and widen the front fenders/enlarge the wheel openings to make it into a heavier-duty version. I'd start with the Hot Rod Magazine version, since it has a small back window. You could use an Opel Blitz for the chassis. I thought somebody cast a heavy-duty 56 F-series cab years ago, but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if anyone casts a '67-72 heavy F-series, but they would use the same cab. If there aren't any out there, you could start with an R&R resin '72 cab.

Thanks to both of you for your responses. Especially to you Fat B, as I went an bought the cab within seconds of seeing your suggested link. I like what that site has, and even gave them a nudge about some kits I would buy if they had them. As for the fender on the 56, and my having to take a P/U and stretch out the fenders, does anyone know of a spec site where I can get dimensions to go from? Thanks again.

Hey Chuck, (Michigan Madman), I like your dodge flatbed. Another project I have planned is a "roll back" as we called it, or a car carrier. Thats gonna be on an International cab and chasis, I am looking at using AIM's 2070 with a big gas engine under the hood.

Hi there AlbertS I guessing you have figured out that most of the 10 ton trucks you have been looking at are basically regular passanger truck cabs.If your good at scratch building you can turn any truck cab into a heavy duty truck. Its rather simple to convert the cabs with altered fenders,hoods,wheel wells,rims and even lights.If your a serious truck builder then have a look at some truck forums out there you'll get all the info you need there hope this helps you and everyone else.