Model Cars Magazine Forum

Part Two - Finished!

See the post Part One for information on the truck.

After removing the mufflers, headlights and visor, I installed the customized versions. The headlights are from Matt Burnett, the visor from Dan Poulin. The exhaust stacks are Evergreen tubing coated with Bare Metal Foil. The dump box is scratchbuilt. The trailer frame is a modifed Gravel Trailer, the dump box is a modified Paystar Heil box.

379119uppalright.jpg

379119uppaltransferrear.jpg

..Oops, I see I forgot the rear corner lenses!

379119uppalhoodopen.jpg

More photos and information on the build are on my site at Tim's Trucks.com - then Recent and Inprogress page

Thanks for looking!

Tim

Thanks !

The chicken lights:

Flat strip for the light bar.

Take round plastic rod (Evergreen in this case), take a sharp blade and shave a bunch of evenly cut "slices" (as if you were slicing salami). I glue the "slices" to the flat strip. Let the glue cure then block sand the face of the lights so they are all the same height. Cover with Bare Metal Foil or paint with chrome paint. I colored the lenses with a black Sharpie marker to simulate the black housing then painted the face with orange.

Tim

wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!what a stunning build,very clean.how did you do the chicken lights

Chuck

The tarp does not operate.. it is paper painted flat black and allowed to dry in place for the right "sag." I noticed that in the hot sun the paper contracted and the tarp on the truck box started to lift up! "It's alive!"

The camera is the same I've had since last year. The difference is that I didn't reduce the images so much.

Tim

Nice transfer dump. So the tarp does operate?

P.S.

Looks as if you have a better digital camera.

Chuck

The tarp does not operate.. it is paper painted flat black and allowed to dry in place for the right "sag." I noticed that in the hot sun the paper contracted and the tarp on the truck box started to lift up! "It's alive!"

The camera is the same I've had since last year. The difference is that I didn't reduce the images so much.

Tim

Great, take all of your photos at these settings.

Primer= Duplicolor sandable white, then BIN primer, sanded, then white primer, then Krylon yellow (can't remember the color name), then the green on the fenders, then several coats of clear. After the paint cured I wet sanded the paint and waxed it.

Tim

What a super nice looking setup. Clean and tight. What yellow paint did you use on this? And did you use primer, etc? Looks great! Dan

Tim,

What a great looking truck and trailer combination. I like your idea of building the truck as it left the factory and then building it with its working clothes on. I have an idea for building an old truck as found in the weeds and then building it in the restored condition. Maybe one day??

The colour combination looks great in the sunlight. Especially the green on the fenders.

Superb!!!