Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modeling Books and Publications

It's been awhile since I've seen any of you 'masters' talk about the subject of books that are worth owning. I figure with the influx of new members and the experience that's already here, that there might be some good substance to come from just such a thread. Personally I don't own any modeling books, but have considered doing so. I subscribe to two magazines(Scale Auto Mag & Model Cars Mag), but really wondering what I might learn from a Covert, Gustavson, Doty, or Irvine book. I know that there's probably nothing in those books that can't be found buried in the WIPs of this forum, but also know that a logically organized and indepth book of 120+ pages or so would be the perfect complement to the mental checklists required when setting upon certain tasks. Thoughts or Recommendations?

"............a logically organized and indepth book of 120+ pages or so would be the perfect complement to the mental checklists required when setting upon certain tasks."

I don't know if any such animal exists, but I'd be first on the list to buy one............

Don't forget the excellent material available from people like Donn Yost and Dr. Cranky, aka Virgil Suarez.

I've got a number of books here I've purchased over time and four in particular that I've always considered to be well worth the price of admission are...

Building and Detailing Scale Model Motorcars by Bill Coulter

Building Better Scale Model Cars and Trucks by Pat Covert

The Modeller's Guide to Scale Automotive Finishes by Pat Covert

Custom Car Modeling by Mark S Gustavson

I purchased these new when they were released back in the 1990s. I don't know what the current availability would be