Model Cars Magazine Forum

Suicide/underslung roadster front axle

I don't know much about these types of hot rods, I'm not even sure if suicide & underslung are the same thing ? l'm working on a '32 Ford & would like to build a suicide front end. All the pics l can find don't show enough detail for me to understand what's going on. All l know is l like the forward extension of the front tires & lowered ride. Can anyone point me in the right direction to achieve this ? Thanks,

Bart

Here's a suicide front end. It gets it's name from the fact that if the spring breaks the chassis is almost guaranteed to hit the ground, since there's pretty much nothing of substance between the axle and the frame except for the spring.

tfrontend.jpg

Underslung just means that the frame is under the suspension rather than over - like on this slick lil' bucket (scrubline violation warning :D).

hrdp_0612_ten_04_ztop_hot_rods_2006.jpg

But honestly, if you're interested in building hot rod models the best advise I can give you?

The H.A.M.B.

Nothin' better online for pre '65 hot rods and customs.

Edited by Gluhead

Here's a suicide front end. It gets it's name from the fact that if the spring breaks the chassis is almost guaranteed to hit the ground, since there's pretty much nothing of substance between the axle and the frame except for the spring.

tfrontend.jpg

But honestly, if you're interested in building hot rod models the best advise I can give you?

The H.A.M.B.

Nothin' better online for pre '65 hot rods and customs.

Great advice joining the HAMB. I had always heard that it was called a suicide front end because if the tie rod was ever damaged from say, an animal/debris impact, the tie rod would pull both wheels inward and then the wheels would try to meet in the middle, with predictable results.

And don't worry, Bill. I'll be using only the highest quality styrene, so l'll be safe, lol !

Glad to hear it. :D The H.A.M.B. is a great resource and can be browsed without joining. Be prepared though...the site is easy to search for tech info, so asking newb questions before researching is, let's say, not taken very well.

I had always heard that it was called a suicide front end because if the tie rod was ever damaged from say, an animal/debris impact, the tie rod would pull both wheels inward and then the wheels would try to meet in the middle, with predictable results.

The severe toe-in resulting from such an occurrance would be thrilling indeed, but but because of the design of steering linkage, assuming nothing breaks, toe tends to equalize and not throw the car violently in an unintended direction. When a spring perch breaks however...

Thanks for the catch, Bill. I knew I missed a word in there somewhere (spring *perch*) but when I went to edit, it eluded me.

And yep, Bill's also right about making sure you use that search function before asking questions. The board moves ridiculously fast, so if it's already on there to find (which it probably is) you'll likely just get tossed around a bit. :P It's a great community, though, and once you're on there a while you pick up on the ones you can hit up for modeler-specific intel. But whatever ya do...don't say rat rod. :D

Thanks for the catch, Bill. I knew I missed a word in there somewhere (spring *perch*) but when I went to edit, it eluded me.

And yep, Bill's also right about making sure you use that search function before asking questions. The board moves ridiculously fast, so if it's already on there to find (which it probably is) you'll likely just get tossed around a bit. :P It's a great community, though, and once you're on there a while you pick up on the ones you can hit up for modeler-specific intel. [ /But whatever ya do...don't say rat rod. :D]

No problem,Glu. I almost never swear !!!