Model Cars Magazine Forum

using air brush propellant cans

Yes, and it is not worth it. As you spray, the can starts to get cold and condensate forms and will get into your air stream

and then into the paint. If you don't want to buy a compressor, look into a air storage tank as an air supply source. a 5 or 10 gallon tank can be had relatively cheaply. In a pinch, Testors sells a device that fits on top of an air can and I have successfully applied Alclad chrome using that. For FWIW I have recently seen decent compressors selling as cheaply as $39.00.

What all these folks said. I started with a can system and at $16 a pop for the big cans, my compressor has payed for itself several times over. And I shoot a lot of Alclad, too. The ability to control pressure is invaluable. Not to mention the possibility of adding a bunch of big bad brushes to your stash...

Dale

I wouldn't use the cans either. They are far too expensive for what you get.

I still have my old school simple Badger that my dad bought for me in the early 80's, and the instructions show that you can use a spare car tire as an air source. Of course, you'll have to have a special fitting, and you will be limited with this tire air, but if you can make it work, the more power to you.

I was explaining this to one of the young employees at the LHS, and at first, he looked at me like I was a three eyed monster and as if I were high on crack, but he did a quick check, and found the exact fitting, sitting on the shelf for $6.