Model Cars Magazine Forum

need some advice on supplies..

Hi all, have a few simple questions on some stuff. Just getting back into doing models and as such, I need to aquire all the odds and ends to actually build them [i.e. paint etc.]. I suppose my biggest question is, what're you all using for masking material? I'm familiar with liquid mask, and fine line tape [been using this stuff on r/c truck bodies], but, those bodies are relatively smooth [i.e. no deep body lines or 'rivets' to contend with], so what's the best stuff to use to eliminate bleed thru? [hope that makes sense]. Also, what paints do you prefer to use? I see there are quite a few options out there now between brands and type of paint. Any advice on materials will be greatly welcomed.

I lost my mind and ordered several rigs and trailers in order to keep me busy this winter, so now I need to equip the shop as it were to be ready to go when the cold hits.

thanks again,

~tom

the best masks are Tamiya Tape and Bare Metal Foil depending on what you are masking. Tamiya Tape is good for body separations where you have a long line to match. Bare Metal Foil is good in small tight spots, like around a door handle.

One trick is that once you have your tape down, give it a shot of clear before you do your color. If there will be any bleed through, the clear will fill it in harmlessly.

The Tamiya Tape is expensive but worth it due to the fine edge. Only use that for the edge, mask up the rest of the body with 3M Blue painters tape, available at any home store.

I'm cheap. Therefore it's the ole Frosted Cellophane tape . For Glue , uh Elmers and Ace 5 minute epoxy for windows and clear parts . I use Testors Model Master liquid as a base cement to do a joint . When the part requires Super Glue , I use either the Gorilla brand and Loc Tite . They both seem to do a decent job

Thanks for the tips guys, probably going to order/pick up some basic supplies this coming weekend.

James, I mentioned it in my intro thread, but I'll say it again, thanks for pointing me over here from the H.A.M.B, this is a great place.

well, i'm getting there. I picked up a few of the testors paint sets [general set, detail set and the camo set for flat colors], x-acto knife and spare blades, Tamiya thin tape, frog tape for delicate surfaces, testors liquid glue, testors liquid glue for clear parts, rubber bands of different sizes, files, brushes [from hobby lobby, looked better than the testors brushes], pack of wet/dry sand paper of various grits, a few pair of tweezers, a pack of emery boards [wife thought I was nuts in the nail polish isle at k-mart],some gorilla glue, cheap pair of side cutters for cutting things off the sprue's, and probably some other things I forgot. I 'think' I have the basics covered now.

while I have you here, what is the general consensus on the testors glue for chrome parts? is it needed, or just stick to a little scrape/glue like days of old?

well, i'm getting there. I picked up a few of the testors paint sets [general set, detail set and the camo set for flat colors], x-acto knife and spare blades, Tamiya thin tape, frog tape for delicate surfaces, testors liquid glue, testors liquid glue for clear parts, rubber bands of different sizes, files, brushes [from hobby lobby, looked better than the testors brushes], pack of wet/dry sand paper of various grits, a few pair of tweezers, a pack of emery boards [wife thought I was nuts in the nail polish isle at k-mart],some gorilla glue, cheap pair of side cutters for cutting things off the sprue's, and probably some other things I forgot. I 'think' I have the basics covered now.

while I have you here, what is the general consensus on the testors glue for chrome parts? is it needed, or just stick to a little scrape/glue like days of old?

Do it just like the old days Use bare metal foil for touch ups unless you are going to get into Alcad paints I still don't know how to use them have to go to the tips and trick fourm here