Model Cars Magazine Forum

Met George Barris!

FASTBACK340

This past Sunday there was a car show at Eisenhower Park in East Meadow, N.Y. Me & Amy took the Barracuda and was enjoying the day. As soon as we get there we learn that a few Barris cars were there. Cool! Then I here that George himself was in attendance. Nah, no way would he come to Long Islan..... WHOAH! That's GEORGE BARRIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-222-0-01999100-1380749769_thumb.jpg

Notice whats behind us?

That would be a replica Batmobile in the background. Sounds like a good time though. Was your 'Cuda in the show? Let's see a pic of that! :)

It was neat to see these cars at a local show. George was a bit unsteady and shaky, making the meeting even more special. He is getting on in years and I doubt we'll cross paths again anytime soon.

As for the `Cuda......

post-222-0-62924500-1380759392_thumb.png

VERY nice 'Cuda! George's health is very bad of late, so anyone with the desire to meet him should do so as quickly as possible. He's 87 now and hasn't much time left. John, I hope you or your wife took lots of pictures during the meet with him, and got an autograph. :)

No autograph, 2 pictures. I was grateful to snag an opportunity to shake his hand and say "thank you" for all he contributed to car culture. Sometimes the briefest compliment means the most. And it WAS a treat meeting him!

Edited by FASTBACK340

Thanks Rich! As you know, that `Cuda was a real POS when I dragged her home..... Feels good to finally see her almost finished (they're never really done...) and enjoying her.

As for meeting Barris, yeah.... it was special. Over the years I've had the opportunity to meet a few icons in the hobby, some whom are gone now making those memories ever better. Ronnie Sox comes to mind along with Dick Landy. Childhood heroes....