Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/12 Enzos-where are they?

After much pre-delivery anticipation, there have been virtually no WIP builds or finished presentations.

I think I saw one, all-carbon finished build here (or elsewhere) but no description of how it builds or assembly problems. I have seen chat about warping, the plastic vs. ABS question, ill-fitting doors and of course the 'wrong wheels / tire' assertion-but not here and not very detailed.

I know several members here have received them but have not seen follow-through reports. Is there disappointment with the kit when finally examined in person?

Would some of you owners describe and display your builds-and maybe more importantly, why you have NOT built it or put it aside? That's a lot of money for a high-end kit that doesn't get displayed or talked about...

I'd imagine most people aren't building them right away. I'd also guess the demand for build ups of anything foreign is not as high here as it is on other boards. I have 4 unbuilt Tamiya 1/12 car kits. But I'm slowly buying grade up parts a bit at a time, and once I have all my grade up parts I may start. Plus, I want my buidling skills to improve before I huild my 1/12.

Edited by sportandmiah

While I agree that some don't build right away, this kit was out in April '12, 1 1/2 years ago now. And it did attract a lot of interest here and on other boards.

I'm specifically asking about the members here that indicated interest and ordered the kit. What became of that interest?

I also understand your collection of 1/12 unbuilts (yet) but might caution you about stocking-up on aftermarket parts. Very often, the aftermarket parts are found to be redundant to kit parts and not worth the expense and 'fidget-factor' to install them. The KA detail parts are an example. Sure SMS makes beautiful stuff and it is largely useful-but expensive and some parts can be scratch built.

In my own experience, I inspected my Trumpeter GT-40 and determined that; A. the Trump kit didn't warrant the expense (it's not Tamiya detail level), B. the KA parts were redundant and problematic C. I could improve kit parts or scratch all the detail I wanted myself.

You may want to examine your kits before ordering, or view built kits with the detail up parts first.

I myself believe that i have all the detail sets i need to start the big Enzo but I am going to build the 1/12 Revell Mustang first for more experince and i have a 1/24 Tamiya F50 to finish to get carbon fiber decal experience.

Then i will tackle the Enzo. That could eadily be another year.

Joe.

I myself believe that i have all the detail sets i need to start the big Enzo but I am going to build the 1/12 Revell Mustang first for more experince and i have a 1/24 Tamiya F50 to finish to get carbon fiber decal experience.

Then i will tackle the Enzo. That could eadily be another year.

Joe.

That's a sensible plan Joe. I don't just crank out builds either. I overlap some and life gets in the way too.

Curtis-glad you wonder as well. We'd both like to see what can become of them.

I'ts kind of strange indeed, I found only three builds not including the full carbon advertisment Enzo.

Maybe people hope for big money in years to follow, see the vintage tamiya's, well I'm only gessing.

I do have one as well and, like Joe, collecting details.

Ad the moment I'm waiting my recovery so I can continue with the 1/12 lamborghini.

In 2014 I'll start a forum build with the 1/12 Mustang followed by the Enzo.

I

Ad the moment I'm waiting my recovery so I can continue with the 1/12 lamborghini.

In 2014 I'll start a forum build with the 1/12 Mustang followed by the Enzo.

A speedy recovery for you and the Doyusha 1/12 Lambo is another of my ancient part-assembled projects in storage.

Look forward to your assessment of the Enzo.

Hello Martin, I realized that I did not answer your questions so here I'm to answer these.

First I want to make clear that I bought the model because I like the Ferrari Enzo very much, the organic shape of the body, I consider it stunning. Technically it is also a remarkable car made for F1 technology being introduced on a road going car. Also I want this kit because I like 1/12 kits because I can add more details and alter or ad parts to the kit.

Is there disappointment with the kit when finally examined in person? Not at all, after opening the box I was amazed by the amount and the quality of the parts in the box. That’s what I like about Tamiya kits these are advance kits and in general well engineered.

This is also the reason why I didn’t bought the Trumpeter GT40, also a car that I must have, Trumpeter made mistakes that are not easy to overcome. This is maybe the reason that SMS says it’s to toy like to make an aftermarket kit for.

Your right about the aftermarket kits usually I’ll wait to see if they what I expect them to be. Well for the Enzo it’s a bit hard because they’re not being built and used. So I decided to give it ago and collect what I thought would be worth the kit and my experience.

The ABS question is not clear to me, I know that the body is made of this material but with 2 component glue it’s easy to fixate. The ill-fitting door is a little problem I have seen the solution already. The 'wrong wheels / tire' assertion is not clear to me what do you mean? The wheels seem correct.

Regards, Ronald

Thanks for an informative report Ronald.

I agree about the GT but I had to have it, a 'must-have' for me. Trumpeter did get the shapes and proportions exactly right but cut many corners on detail and some awkward engineering. However I added enough detail to satisfy myself. And having 1:1 experience with the engine, gearbox and several GT's, I improved accuracy where it shows most.

I have seen a 1:1 Enzo but have no experience with the kit. I have only read on the web that some said the wheel / tire package is not correctly portrayed, among other slight inaccuracies or simplifications. It surprises me about Tamiya so I'm not certain that criticism is valid.

Perhaps when you begin your build and post you will present the facts with a critical eye.

Hello Martin,

Yes it became a report rather answering your questions; it must have something to do with not being a native English speaker.

The GT40 is for me also a must have, I would like to build the famous Gulf version for its livery. During a meeting a maker of the model told to he was very disappointed about the model. Basically he recommended me to turn to other models, unless I would seriously downgrade my expectations.

I would like to see your model and the details you added.

I don’t know if I have enough experience to determine if the wheel / tire package is not correctly portrayed, amongst the other slight inaccuracies or simplifications. Yes I will post my WIP and tell about what I come across. My current WIP is lacking this text but that is soon to be all right, after the restart.

To help me I usually gather lots and lots of photos, SMS has a cd with a ton of pictures that I’ve purchased to help me during the WIP.

What is your profession that you have 1:1 experience with the engine, gearbox and several GT's? Hopefully you will be able to answer questions the moment the rise?

Regards, Ronald

Ronald,

My profession had nothing to do with 1:1 race cars-but my passion for the last four decades has been that-especially Fords and some Ferraris.

Here is my Cobra replica which I built, raced and modified for the last three decades.

It has the same 427 engine (but with 550 HP) that the GT MK II's had:

http://1Medium_zps0d23460a.jpg

2Medium_zps7bba5080.jpg

Here is my Trumpeter GT. It is finished as I might vintage race one today. It is heavily weathered as if used in vintage endurance racing.

By far the biggest visual improvement for the Trump kit is to lower it as you see here.

I did not use a KA detail kit and am glad I did not. I made new suspension arms, links and anti roll bars. I added cockpit wiring and engine lines and hoses. The air pan and heat deflector are made of .005" aluminum-more in scale that the kit parts.

My race experience taught me that race cars are not all neat and pretty-wires and cables everywhere for function. Gravel in the tires and rubber dust, grime and bugs cover the finish. That's what I tried to capture.

Few more photos in next post:

COVERAMedium_zps68738c7d.jpg

Edited by Cato

• 2 weeks later...

I'm personally first building two 1/24 Enzo kits to get super familiar with the car and have been getting tons of reference photos. I'm also trying to get used of the carbon fiber decals before I waste over a $120.00 worth of them for this kit. I also have been buying after market stuff for the kit although I'm sure the kit would be fine without it is very nice. I hope to start the kit sometime in the beginning of 2014ish :)

20131106_184650_zpse23921f0.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

there's a build report over here: http://modelerssocialclub.proboards.com/thread/4892/tamiya-12-ferrari-enzo-build?page=5

I link to midst of thread, as this is page were pics of finished model are visible without having to sign up. Previous pages don't show many images on my PC...

Anyway, some pics hotlinked to tease...

Btw, notice the HRE wheels? Mmm, why does it feel like i know these?

20130802_134814_zps394cbc83.jpg

20130802_135148_zpsf38b6133.jpg

20130802_134716_zps488279bd.jpg

20130802_134903_zpsa952ccfb.jpgGive'em a visit...

Wim

• 3 years later...
  • 1 month later...