Model Cars Magazine Forum

Video Tutorial: Drilling out Round Rod

Thanks again for this how too I`m sure it open a lot of doors for people like myself that would like to scrachbuilt a drag car chassic thanks again.

John Pol

No problem John. if you need more help feel free to ask. if i can help i will you just got make sure sure to give me enough time to get it done

I'm missing something here ....

what is the problem? i can't help if you do not give more of a hint on the problem.

Edited by Marcus M. Jones

Great video. Love the fish-mouth portion. Be using that very soon.

Thanks Mikey. let me know how it works for you.

I tell you all I tried this and it works great now can finish my Grumpys 80 Camaro thanks again Marcus

dude i really appreciate this. the things i do may be easy for me cause i grew up around watching family do it in the real world but i do not know how it might work for others. having you come back to say it works great lets me know i did something right.

the original post is blank on my machine!

no link/ no nothin'

its a youtube video. i don't know why it didn't show for you i wouldn't even know where to start. i did add some text just in case for some dumb reason that is what caused the problem. i also added a link below the video. sorry about that. lesson learned: always add a link to the video.

• 2 weeks later...

Great tutorial. One question how do you match the fishmouth on the other end of the rod that was fishmouthed?

this is a good question. I never gave this a thought. so thanks for asking.

i guess what could be done is this

using the same size rod as your drill bit Drill a hole in a piece of wood and pin it.

drill your hole through the rod but do not cut it yet. (you will have to ream the hole a little with your bit so it will fit down over your pin.) place your rod on the pin.

now you you can drill the other end of your rod.

remove your rod off the pin and cut it for a very close match.

--------------

This is not a fool proof way but it will work. alot of how well it works depends on the person controlling a hand drill. if i think of a better way of doing this i will be sure to add it into this tutorial. if someone else knows of a good or better way they are more than welcome to add to this.

got it now; thanks for the link

hey no problem Joe