Model Cars Magazine Forum

Side mirrors, utility tail lights?

Hey folks, i'm gathering materials to build a scratch flat/utility bed for a one ton dually truck in 1/24 & 1/25 scale, I've used the search bar, but have had no luck in finding another related thread.

I'd like to find sets of both side door mirrors: full length mounted top and bottom of side door window(preferably non-chromed) and also a set of those square type utility tail lights often mounted on utility trucks, trailers, etc., they were also a style mounted directly to the body of Jeep CJ vehicles as well.

Does anyone make these or know a site which sells them?

Thanks in advance!

Dave, an easy solution, if you may have any in the parts box, for the side mirrors are to use mirrors from a 1/32 scale truck. Another idea, if the dually is the Monogram Ford F350, is to use an extra mirror from a 1/24 or 1/25 scale kit and the top mount, since the kit already supplies a suitable bottom mount.

As for taillights, I'm guessing you mean the Grote taillight like this:

53782_zps1ce3c060.jpg

You can find these in almost any Italeri American truck kit, and also on the red sprues of many of the older AMT truck kits. The only downfall of the Italeri versions are that they are found on the black colored sprue, so to look right, you would have to use some Bare Metal Foil and some Tamiya Clear Red on the lens area to make them look good.

If you don't have anything in the parts box, maybe ask in the wanted and trade section and see if anyone has any extras.

Thanks for the replies. You were spot on Highway, the Grote style is exactly the type i'm looking for. But sadly, as I've been away from the hobby for many years and just starting back again, I have no real parts box to speak of :(

But thanks again for the tips!

Edit: By the way Chuckyr, those are really nice looking marker lights, if i get to building the big rigs, I'll def keep those in mind!

Edited by dave2aptc

Thanks for the replies. You were spot on Highway, the Grote style is exactly the type i'm looking for. But sadly, as I've been away from the hobby for many years and just starting back again, I have no real parts box to speak of :(

But thanks again for the tips!

Edit: By the way Chuckyr, those are really nice looking marker lights, if i get to building the big rigs, I'll def keep those in mind!

Dave, if you haven't already, maybe try posting a wanted thread and see if someone might have a set they would be willing to donate to help you out. I'll do some digging in my parts box during my time off today and tomorrow (I drive truck, so I'm driving most of the week :) ) and maybe see if I have an extra set to help you out.

Dave, if you haven't already, maybe try posting a wanted thread and see if someone might have a set they would be willing to donate to help you out. I'll do some digging in my parts box during my time off today and tomorrow (I drive truck, so I'm driving most of the week :) ) and maybe see if I have an extra set to help you out.

That would be awesome if you could find some. I bought some 3/64 styrene rod yesterday, I plan to make my own mirror brackets and sheet for the frame. However, I'm not quite sure what I'll use yet for the mirror itself.

That would be awesome if you could find some. I bought some 3/64 styrene rod yesterday, I plan to make my own mirror brackets and sheet for the frame. However, I'm not quite sure what I'll use yet for the mirror itself.

I would suggest using some bare metal foil or even the shiny side of regular household aluminum foil for the mirror faces. I used regular aluminum foil and a spray craft glue on this trailer to replicate a stainless steel trailer.

HPIM1580.jpg

• 4 weeks later...