Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Tommy Ivo Front Engine Dragster. Updated 3/29/14

Heres my latest project i scored this kit on ebay and ordered Comp resins Tommy Ivo conversion kit after spending quite a few hours sanding the chassis i have started mocking it up using aleenes tacky glue im not sure if i should go with the kit front wheels or order Mas photoetced wheel kit from Teds and also thinking about replacing the rear tires with comp resin ones im definitely going to get a injector hat from teds for this and also some Protech products.

After watching Chris's aka Mooneyzs Funny Car build , John Teresi's builds and Dave Comp 1839's Builds ive decided to tackle a 1/16 Build. Sorry about the bad cell phone pics still have to sort out my new digital camaera.

20140225_195558-vi.jpg

20140306_192842-vi.jpg

20140306_192852-vi.jpg

Edited by jasoncamaro

Jason... Very nice start on this man. I am super excited to see another 1/16th build here and also feel honored that my build as well as Johns, and Dave's build have inspired you to do this one. Seeing the start of this one is making me want to dust off my 1/16th FED that I painted right before I started the Army Funny Car. I will have to find the thread here so you can see what I have done with it so far. I also have a set of the Machined Aluminum Specialties wheels I was going to build for it. I am also hoping to finish it before a show next month.

Charlie has the best approach. Test fit your parts often before you decide to paint and make sure things mock-up like you want them to. I learned the hard way a few times on the Army Car and ended up redoing a few things 2 to 3 and even 4 times...lol. Also if you have any questions on anything I will be more than happy to help and answer the questions the best I can. Looking forward to more.

Spent some time today got it on its wheels im going to spray the kit front rims with Alclad Chrome and see what they look like and decide if im going to replace them. I got the resin nose piece fitting im pretty happy with how this is looking with the cowl piece and nose piece

20140308_160335-vi.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I've been slowly chipping away at things on this build have been pretty slack with updates.

I modified the kit steering rods and radius rods with aluminium and have filled the holes in the intake manifold and done some mods to the injector hat with a bit of help form charlie aka Pro Tech. My order from Tedsmodeling Marketplace turned up this week containing several of protech's awesome parts for this build

Thanks for looking

20140329_095059-vi.jpg

20140329_095307-vi.jpg

20140329_095152-vi.jpg

20140329_095210-vi.jpg

20140329_095131-vi.jpg

• 4 years later...
On ‎25‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 3:16 AM, jasoncamaro said:

Unfortunately it's sitting in the box in my wardrobe I will get back to it after I finish the Piranha funny car 

That to bad ,it was looking good ,do you plan on using the Slixx decals ?

14 hours ago, Mr mopar said:

That to bad ,it was looking good ,do you plan on using the Slixx decals ?

I actually brought Chuck Boerners Prudhomme 1/16 decals to build the Prudhomme Wynns car I had the decade of thrills video tape when I was a kid and it has his dragster in the background and I've always like that car so was thinking of saving the Ivo stuff for another kit not sure yet