Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack DM Triaxle Mixer WIP New Photos (5-8-08) Almost Done

1-15-08

Guy's....Haven't posted here in awhile, Got the new 2008 project finally started.

The insanity continues.....

Just wanted to post a few pictures on the WIP. The project is coming along slowly..biggest hurdle to overcome was getting the Mack Cruiseliner kit, to obtain the 300 Maxidyne engine with intercooler..this updated version will compliment the build as an early 85-86 year. The interior is also being updated using the R-model dash and a few added accessories.

New hinges were made to give the hood a better fit to the cab. Work on the lift axle is almost completed...

Any and all comments are always welcomed..Happy building.

Kurt McLucas

DSCN5004a.jpg

DSCN5026.jpg

DSCN5028.jpg

DSCN5030.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

Nice work Kurt. It looks like a DM that a local concrete company ran until a few years ago. Now a friend of the family has it and turned it into a water truck. What did you do for the frame? Did you modify the DM800 rails in the mixer kit or stretch the kit rails?

Casey...

To answer your questions.....

The project so far includes (2) of the DM600 Kits, and (1) Paystar Kit. I lengthened the frame with the DM600 kits, and then shortened it. Got all my dimensions setup correctly now. Reworked the crossmembers etc.

Working on the drivetrain now..as pictured..going back to the mixer part here shortly.

The REX mixer from the kit is stock along with some major modifications as you will see here soon.

Color cobination will be black chassis, white mixer body, and red for the cab and hood assembly.

As for the engine...It's going to pop with Alclad gold/pale gold..some accents in Alclad chrome and gloss black, along with all the decaling as I can get. Exhaust components will be Alclad stainless steel.

Yes, the hood will fully open and function.

Tim..insane yes..as I have a time frame on this one, as it is a commissioned build. Thank you for the nice comments....

Kurt McLucas

wiremonkey....

I like "your" take of the DM600 Mixer build as well. How did your "REX" drum align, when gluing up?? Just curious.

Here are some updated pictures I took the other evening..as a general "mock-up" Still along way to go.

Thank you to all for the great comments so far.....Kurt McLucas

DSCN5060a.jpg

DSCN5058a.jpg

DSCN5059a.jpg

Yeah, my mixer drum didn't fit together worth a ###### either. Seemed the locating pins were too loose, and the whole thing had a warp on one side, requiring holding the dang thing while the glue dried (where's the CA when you need it??) I was disappointed with the overall appearance of the drum with the horizontal braces anyway, so I followed your lead by scraping and sanding them off. Seams are now puttied, and need a few more coats of primer and sanding.

• 2 months later...

4-11-08

Guy's.....

I wanted to post a few pictures on the WIP, Mack triaxle mixer...Some of you have probably seen some other posts on the 300 engine/making of the decals, and just recently the Alcoa wheels...Thank you for all the great comments....

I estimate another good month or so..until the project is completely finished..so here are some "teaser" photo's.

As soon as I can get a decent day to primer and paint..the frame fabrication is completed.

Also I just completed the interior..just need to add the horn decal button...but it is the stock DM600 tub..with lots of modifications to accept the update Mack R-model dash assembly...customers decals are presently..along with their monthly newsletter on the clipboard...Any and all comments welcomed...Thank you for looking...here is a little recap....

Kurt Mclucas

DSCN5139a.jpg

DSCN5240.jpg

DSCN5301.jpg

DSCN5284.jpg

DSCN5245a.jpg

DSCN5302.jpg

DSCN5306.jpg

Edited by Turbo590

• 4 weeks later...

5-8-08

Well, Guy's......

Paint and clear coat are on...Just a little mock up this evening, to install the radiator...Did some plumbing..and decal work..if all goes well..another 2 weeks and I might be able to call it FINISHED!!

Just wanted to share a few photo's......Kurt McLucas

DSCN5368a.jpg

DSCN5369a.jpg

DSCN5370a.jpg