Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari 350 Can Am

Dave B

Many years ago, when a young tacker, I built a Heller P4 Ferrari. It was sprayed in a dark red (maroon) and I even cut the bottom off the front tyres to get it to sit right. Luckily I matured, found a Union re-release, yet to be built, and confined the old Heller to the dark cupboard. As I have started a collection of Ozzie Group 7 style sports cars I decided to rebuild the old P4 into the 350 Can-Am as raced by Scuderia Veloce here in Australia. I was lucky enough to see this car race at Longford in, if I recall correctly, 1967, so armed with the Motor Racing Replica News article and web photo's I have started.

First task was to copy the Union tyres and cast them in resin. Next I cut the rear, shortened it and using plenty of styrene formed the rear engine cover. I used a Patto's vacform as a basis for the snorkels and also cast a mould for the windscreen. I have started on the nose area and this is where I am at the moment. I have yet to instal the headlights and then need to consider the interior. The finished item is probably still a few months off as I am also building a pair of Elfin 400's.

IMG_4960_zps87209fab.jpg

IMG_4963_zpsb6b3bcbb.jpg

IMG_4962_zpsc16e6e94.jpg

IMG_4961_zps2d821d63.jpg

Tks for looking

Dave

Edited by Bantoft

• 1 month later...

Have done a little more work on this one. It's not dead accurate but is a reasonable likeness of the 350 as raced by Scuderia Veloce in Australia, complete with headlights but minus the spare wheel which was attached vertically to the rear above the exhaust pipes. I have yet to complete under the 'bonnet' and the interior. It's painted white to allow me to see the faults.

IMG_4971_zps13278e0d.jpg

IMG_4974_zpsdd7a02ad.jpg

IMG_4973_zpsebdcff5a.jpg

IMG_4976_zpsf77aeb66.jpg

Tks for looking.

Dave B