Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 58 Impala - Mild Custom

Raul_Perez

This is one I've been struggling off-and-on with for a long time. I finally figured out what I wanted to do with the interior regarding the seats. The "custom" front seats that come in the kit are at best "interesting", but look nothing like the stock rear seats. To fix that, I cut out the rear seat openings and replaced them with bucket seats from a '94 Corvette ZR1. This pic shows how it looks now with just the base coat of Testors Fabric Tan. I still need to "weather" and detail it a bit to make it look more realistic.

58Impala01-vi.jpg

58Impala03-vi.jpg

58Impala04-vi.jpg

Here's couple of shots of the body. I made the hood scoop match the raised portion on the back of the roof near the rear window. When done, the hood will tilt forward. I'll be using the custom bar grille that came in the kit. The tires and wheels are from a 94 Camaro.

58Impala06-vi.jpg

Here you can see the reshaped taillight openings and the new rear roll pan with the half-round exhaust cut-outs.

58Impala10-vi.jpg

I used the Z-11 409 from the AMT 62 Bel-Air Super Stock kit instead of the 409 that came in the kit. As you can see, there's still a lot of details to add.

58Impala09-vi.jpg

Well, I hope that someday this one gets off of the workbench and under glass. The paint still needs to be polished, and if my LHS ever gets me my order of BMF, I'll probably have to use about 1/2 of a sheet of it just to get this one finished. Until then I'll keep messing with it between my other projects...

Comment and suggestions are certainly welcome on this one...

Regards,

Hello there friend! Just wanted to say Senor P' What are you thinkin the stance alone is enough moti to get this complete let alone all the stlye she has.I can see where you would get stumped on ( maybe the class you want her in) I love your mod'n w hoods and thats a dead ringer That year came w alot of chrome so have fun bmf'n but for the most part you will climb over that little builders block you got w this mean lookin chevy! YOU HAVE TOO PLEASE! gotta see her done!!

Keep on wit the keepin on! :lol:

Peace

AJulia

thanks for the pics' really clean lookin build! ;)

Hello there friend! Just wanted to say Senor P' What are you thinkin the stance alone is enough moti to get this complete let alone all the stlye she has.I can see where you would get stumped on ( maybe the class you want her in) I love your mod'n w hoods and thats a dead ringer That year came w alot of chrome so have fun bmf'n but for the most part you will climb over that little builders block you got w this mean lookin chevy! YOU HAVE TOO PLEASE! gotta see her done!!

Keep on wit the keepin on! :lol:

Peace

AJulia

thanks for the pics' really clean lookin build! :D

You crack me up, Tito!! ;):blink:

Thanks for the compliments!! I'm trying to get it done, but it's fighting me all the way!! Take a look at the pics again, I took a lot of the chrome trim off of this one. All that's left chrome are the window openings, some side moldings and the rear roof vent. The rest is gone!!

Keep the faith and say a little prayer for this one!! :lol::lol: It hates me so much that I may have to get rid of it when it's done!! :lol::lol:

Regards,

Edited by Raul_Perez

wow..... :lol: that interior is outstanding!!! what kind of taillights are you putting in? any chance you could level off that stance a little bit? :lol:

i'd love to see what you'd be able to do in a full-custom lowrider..... :blink:

Thanks!! I really fought with this thing to get the "mild custom" look that I wanted in the interior.

The taillights are made from translucent red sheet plastic with a small piece of BMF trim around the edges. I don't want them to stand out too much. This is intended to be a very mild custom.

No, I'm not going to do any more to the stance. This model HATES me!! :lol:;) I've been struggling with it off-and-on for about a year now!! At this point I just want to get it done!! :lol:

I must admit that I'm not much of a lowrider fan. The only time I like 'em really low is when they have a monster motor and meats to match!! I'm more of a Pro-Street/Pro-Stock/Pro-Touring kind of guy these days. I am impressed with the paint work on a lot of the lowriders, but professionally I was a bodyman, not a painter.

Thanks, again,

Oooohhhhh!!!!! You gotta keep goin' on this one, Raul!!!

I too am really diggin' that interior..... The body mods and color seem to be workin' too. :D

The only things that I would change would be to drop the rear a bit

and go to a more traditional spoked type mag.... the Camaro wheels actually make it look a bit dated, IMHO.

Get 'R' Done

It maybe fightin' yah, just don't let it get you down. You are the Master. :lol:

Everything looks good, from my end. But with all those beautiful mods, the wheels are off. It seems that the "owner" cheeped out with some junkyard wheels. IMO :D

Edited by Robert81

Get 'R' Done

It maybe fightin' yah, just don't let it get you down. You are the Master. :lol:

Everything looks good, from my end. But with all those beautiful mods, the wheels are off. It seems that the "owner" cheeped out with some junkyard wheels. IMO :D

OK, OK, I give up!!! I'll change the wheels!! :lol::lol::lol: You guys crack me up!! :lol::lol::lol:

I "may" even drop the rear a little bit more...

Thanks for all the input!!

hey raul....it may be fight'n u but ur winning....i agree with everyone else interior is awesome....the wheels they would due...but dont changed the stance leave it like it was meant to be....neal

ps on another subject....the 55 chevy pickup...i pick up 2 55 and a 57 off ebay cut the side out of a 58 vette but im not sure how to proceed...and body work hates me...lol

Edited by outlaw035

OK, OK, I give up!!! I'll change the wheels!! :lol::lol: You guys crack me up!! :lol::lol:

I "may" even drop the rear a little bit more...

Thanks for all the input!!

OK guys, I went through the parts box and looked at several of my unbuilt kits but I couldn't find any wheels that I like better than the ones that are on it. :):lol: The Crager just didn't look right...too old for the rest of the mods...

Maybe it's just me, but other than wire wheels, I don't like anything with more than a basic 5 spoke pattern. They start to look like wagon wheels. Does anybody have any specific suggestions that I can try?

Thanks again for you comments and suggestions,

Raul, maybe this will help

Non-disc brake version from '69 Shelby, disc brake version in '64 Chevy pickup. Your resto-rod Poncho cousin is calling you to complete that chevy! :huh:

That's not fair, Randy!! You know how much I love Pontiacs, and that one is just too cool!!

Thanks for the inspiration!! That's enough to keep me going on this old dog...

OK guys, I went through the parts box and looked at several of my unbuilt kits but I couldn't find any wheels that I like better than the ones that are on it. :):lol: The Crager just didn't look right...too old for the rest of the mods...

Maybe it's just me, but other than wire wheels, I don't like anything with more than a basic 5 spoke pattern. They start to look like wagon wheels. Does anybody have any specific suggestions that I can try?

Thanks again for you comments and suggestions,

pegasus hobbies has a line of wheels that are just below "Dub" sizes also, try checkin out some of the wheels aoshima have available.... even the larger fujimi wire wheel sets....

It hates me so much that I may have to get rid of it when it's done!!

Raul, I'll take it off your hands! I'll even trade you one of my nightmare customs for it! Yours kills mine though, so I'll be getting over on ya big time! :)

SSR_012-vi.jpg

But getting back to the serious stuff, this baby looks great. Very subtle, and I hadn't noticed the lack of trim until you mentioned it. Now that is subtle. Get this baby finished, I've been working on my Charger for almost a year (Next month will be it's birthday! Whoo-Hoo!), and I don't even have any paint down yet!

Edited by Mike S.

Raul, I'll take it off your hands! I'll even trade you one of my nightmare customs for it! Yours kills mine though, so I'll be getting over on ya big time! :)

But getting back to the serious stuff, this baby looks great. Very subtle, and I hadn't noticed the lack of trim until tou mentioned it. Now that is subtle. Get this baby finished, I've been working on my Charger for almost a year (Next month will be it's birthday! Whoo-Hoo!), and I don't even have any paint down yet! Now where are the pics of the new rims, you can't leave us hanging like that, it's just plain cruel!!

That's too funny!! I never thought of trading nightmares!!

No new wheels, yet. Everything I tried was either too big, (like all of the newer wheels seem to be), or just didn't look any better to me. Here's what's on the right side that I haven't replaced yet. What do you think?

58Impala30-vi.jpg

I'm trying not to do every model I build in either a Vette or a Cobra SVT theme, but these days I seem to keep going down one of those two paths...

Raul, I wouldn't do that to ya, that SSR looks great in pictures, but it's a disaster up-close. You can see where that PT Cruiser roof is mated to it all the way around, so it stays hidden in the back of the display case. As far as those rims, nah, not cool enough for it. I know what you're saying about all the huge, bling-bling rims that are out there, so why not go completely in the other direction. What do you think of something like this?

57ChevyBMC0001-vi.jpg

I love the Pegasus Helas, they got that oldschool look, i would definetly say that Pegasus Helas or T's are a good choice.

They both give a mild custom look, and matches a car such as the -58 Impala.

I love the stance, and the paint is a great match!

Also fun to see that im not the only one who this kit doesent like, mine almost killed itself....

here's some non-blingy pegasus wheels..... :)

1274.jpg

1274 Chrome T's

not too big ;)

Thanks for the pics, Rollin!!

I'm a basic 5 spoke kind of guy, so I like the Chrome T's. I'll check the LHS to see if they have any. If not, I know that they can get them for me. If you could, what is the diameter of the wheel and what is the diameter of the tire?

Thanks, again,

Thanks for the pics, Rollin!!

I'm a basic 5 spoke kind of guy, so I like the Chrome T's. I'll check the LHS to see if they have any. If not, I know that they can get them for me. If you could, what is the diameter of the wheel and what is the diameter of the tire?

Thanks, again,

hope this helps....

IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

IMG_1510.jpg

hope this helps....

Way too freaking cool, Rollin!! Thanks for the pics of the measurements!! The tires are actually smaller in diameter than what I want but I have a set of tires that will probably fit those rims!! They're close enough to buy a set and give it a try!!

Thanks, again!!

Edited by Raul_Perez