Model Cars Magazine Forum

1972 Torino Wagon Wip

kurth

This is Motor City Resin's 1972 Torino wagon. It just got some color. This is MCW Medium Metallic Brown

It will need some sanding and some more paint to fix a few paint boogers, and to even up the paint coverage. It is a little darker then it appears in this picture.

IMGP1910-vi.jpg

Edited by kurth

Who would have thought that we would become nostalgic for 70's American wagons of all things.

I rode in one of these wagons in a gradeschool carpool. I had forgotten about it until I saw the resin casting here at the forum.

Pardon me while I go have a good cry...

• 2 weeks later...

After several misadventures, including a clogged airbrush needle, finger prints in the paint and going down to pretty much the last drop of paint... I finally got the paint DONE on this Torino

Here is a shot right after finishing clear coat..

IMGP1950-vi.jpg

Uhhmmm yeah ... we might need a little bit of sanding here... so I whipped out my handy dandy polishing kit and now ...

IMGP1957-vi.jpg

Next up is BMF and finishing up the chassis.

Well I don't have to be at work bright and early tomorrow, so I did some more work on the torino, Mocking it up to make sure it sits on all four wheels.

I robbed the wheel backs, tires and metal axle from the AMT 1970 chevelle kit, then for the front wheels, I glued in some short lengths of brass tubing for stub axles

IMGP1963-vi.jpg

after much fiddling with the driver side front wheel It sat square. The hubcaps are ModelHaus Items.. 1971 maverick Hubcaps. The torino was probably never equipped with these hubcaps, but they don't look too out of place.

I don't think I like the black headrests on the seats, I'll probably repaint them

IMGP1970-vi.jpg

Here I am mocking up the engine. It is a 351c from SMBC. after looking at this I had to fiddle with the fit of the alternator, it is no longer bent out of place as depicted here. Also I will have to fiddle with the fit of the carb and the air cleaner as the hood doesn't clear.

IMGP1972-vi.jpg

The last thing I did was to chop up the radiator and fan shroud from the 1966 chevelle wagon to fit the torino chassis.

IMGP1975-vi.jpg

I hope you enjoy seeing the progress

Edited by kurth

• 2 months later...