Model Cars Magazine Forum

Frame jig and fixtures

kennb

I picked up a magazine last night that had some information on making frmaes for 1:1. Since I make all my own frames I felt it would be good to read. I noted that it was all set up on a movable frame jig and held in place by a variety of fixtures and clamps, something I wish i had to make my frames. After looking at it more It was just some I beams in different directions that were movable and clamped or pinned in place. The fixtures looked like they were made for this project. meaning that each different frame had fixtures to match what they wanted. the main rack would keep everything in place and square. mmmmmmmmm. B) BY know you all know where this is heading. :rolleyes:

Yup...here it is :P

SANY1273.jpg

SANY1272.jpg

SANY1274.jpg

You have the main I beams (1/4" cut to width and length glued together) on a base that is 3.5" x 8". The long beams are 2" o.c. the short beams can be any length, mine are at this time 3.5". I can make longer as required. Then I made them so they can slide along the rack. I will drill holes for pins as I need them to hold in place. I made a few ficture samples that can be made as needed for any special need. Now I can set my frames up quickly and square each time with out guess work. A scale can be added to the base if you want or on the long rails to make things realy simple. :P

KennB

Edited by kennb

At work, there was a table made of granite, about 24 inches thick, that was easy 10x15 feet. They used it to jig up the masters of the cars so they could best figure out where to place the robots to where they could weld the whole car together. It was also used to jig up the new bodies and it was built similar to yours,believe it or not. :D:);)

No Need to get all fancy although that is very nice work you doing there. I just use a flat piece of whatever ( plywood, plexi, etc) and glue chunks of evergreen plastic to it to hold the engine, wheels, body, etc. where I want them and then I can build up the connective tissue - frame, suspension, brackets, mounting points, etc. It really helps achieve "The Look".

130evening001-vi.jpg

23002a-vi.jpg

130evening006-vi.jpg

130evening005-vi.jpg

Now to figure out how to use this thing. :blink:;)

SANY1283.jpg

This is next to what I was using. :huh: I have started the T-Bird frame. The siderails are in place with an I beam in front to line things up. I made up some holders for the rear of the frame and side jigs slide on to the I beams to hold the sides in place and square. The pins are in place of bolts to hold the jigs in place. I can remove the parts and they go back to exaclty the same place each time.

SANY1284.jpg

It is better thn what I had been usign but not wure if it is "IT". <_<

KennB

If you can get the shapes to start with it would be an easy build and a lot more accurate. It would also look nicer :rolleyes:

In setting this up for larger frames it would sure save a lot of frustration. You could easily make accessories to fit exactly what you need to hold down major members.

Kenn

Note: I heat the pins for the initial hole,,then they go through the plastic real easy :lol:

Edited by kennb

You could adapt this to fit any frame set up by making the jigs to hold things in place. I would pre drill the holes and use short pins to hold things in place. It just depends on how far you want to take it. If anyone wants furthe details on the jigs or how to make them I can post more information.

KennB

With some forethought it could be used for almost any build. Frames and wheels always have to be square & perpendicular. I also see multi-piece bodies being jigged too.... not that there's many of those being built or made these days, but it does appear to be useful. I'm an auto technician by trade and know the value of a good tool-jig-fixture-assitance to make your life easier. This is one of those tools.

Post away.....

• 10 years later...
On 11/23/2011 at 5:51 PM, kennb said:

You could adapt this to fit any frame set up by making the jigs to hold things in place. I would pre drill the holes and use short pins to hold things in place. It just depends on how far you want to take it. If anyone wants furthe details on the jigs or how to make them I can post more information.

KennB

I would like to see more information details on the jigs and how to make them.