Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fabricating Exhaust...

I am working on a project where I need to scratchbuild the exhaust system. I know people bend solder, and this seems like just the perfect material but I can't seem to find solder of the proper diameter. I measured some kit pipes that I liked and they were 2mm. I have 3mm and 1.6 mm solder and I went to home depot and those were the only sizes they had. Home depot is probably not the best place to look for different varieties of solder though. I looked around and 12 or 10 gauge solid wire might be usefull too, but I didn't have my caliper handy to measure. I found a coat hanger that was 2mm but it's kinda stiff and hard to work with

So My question is, what do you use? do they make a 2mm solder? If so where is a good place to get it? If not solder, what is a good alternative material?

Thanks,

Kurt

I am working on a project where I need to scratchbuild the exhaust system. I know people bend solder, and this seems like just the perfect material but I can't seem to find solder of the proper diameter. I measured some kit pipes that I liked and they were 2mm. I have 3mm and 1.6 mm solder and I went to home depot and those were the only sizes they had. Home depot is probably not the best place to look for different varieties of solder though. I looked around and 12 or 10 gauge solid wire might be usefull too, but I didn't have my caliper handy to measure. I found a coat hanger that was 2mm but it's kinda stiff and hard to work with

So My question is, what do you use? do they make a 2mm solder? If so where is a good place to get it? If not solder, what is a good alternative material?

Thanks,

Kurt

Hello Kurth, Try this, find the size of tubing you want, insert the solder or any solid wire inside the tubing, then bend the tube to the shape you need. That should keep the tubing from crimping if you bend it to shape slowly. If you want the custom chrome look polish the tubing first. Hope this works for you. Let me know. ewaskew@yahoo.com Earl

You want "bonsai wire" in aluminum. They come in sizes ranging from 1mm to about 8mm. A 2 or 2.5 mm wire works out nicely for exhaust systems. Very easy to bend, cut, and polished to a mirror finish. Sold by weight, a 100-gram roll of 2.5mm yields about 50 feet. That's a lot of exhaust systems.

2.5mm, soaked in CSC to give it a matte texture:

P1280004-vi.jpg

Edited by Ron L

You want "bonsai wire" in aluminum. They come in sizes ranging from 1mm to about 8mm. A 2 or 2.5 mm wire works out nicely for exhaust systems. Very easy to bend, cut, and polished to a mirror finish. Sold by weight, a 100-gram roll of 2.5mm yields about 50 feet. That's a lot of exhaust systems.

2.5mm, soaked in CSC to give it a matte texture:

P1280004-vi.jpg

Ron - where would I look for "bonsai wire"?

Ron - Those intakes look the business!

Mike - If you have trouble locating that very wire, and if you have a Michaels or A.C. Moore craft store locally, look for 'armature wire' there; I believe it's used in sculpting, and it too comes in several sizes....it's probably the very same stuff Ron used. It's a very malleable aluminum that lends itself well to exhaust work, and it polishes up nicely with very little effort. It comes in three different sizes, on a roll or in straight lengths, and I believe this one is the largest:

DSCN0651-vi.jpg

I used a smaller size of the above wire(2.4mm diameter) for the primary tubes on my V-Bucket, and the collectors were aluminum tubing squashed slightly to fit. I was short on time and didn't think to polish the pipes after gluing, but they still look good IMO.

da_bucket-vi.jpg

Regardless of which material you use, I highly recommend epoxy for gluing all the pieces together; I got a little 'fogging' from CA on my bucket's pipes, but I was pulling an all-nighter to get it wrapped up and took a chance.

Edited by VW Dave

I'm sure it does depend on the individual store, but they can likely order any of the other sizes available within the chain. The smallest I got from my local store is just about 2.4mm, in 30cm straight lengths of aluminum, under the brand name of 'Coiling Rods' by Metal Works.

A quick correction: the primary pipes on my V-Bucket were actually made with the 2.4mm stuff

Edited by VW Dave

Regardless of how, or what method one uses to fabricate an exhaust system, it is important to remember that different vehicles use different diameters of pipe. For example, compare the size of a VW Beetle or other snall car with a big black Chevy pickup ( maybe 1 1/2 " vs 3 " ?. the most important thing is the "bottom line" that I use ...................is it a scale "look good" ?

bob

Regardless of how, or what method one uses to fabricate an exhaust system, it is important to remember that different vehicles use different diameters of pipe. For example, compare the size of a VW Beetle or other snall car with a big black Chevy pickup ( maybe 1 1/2 " vs 3 " ?. the most important thing is the "bottom line" that I use ...................is it a scale "look good" ?

bob

bob

bob

Bob Did you Hic-cup?? three times..LOL..

Looking forward to seeing you at the Heartland contest In KC In June.. Maybe you remember me?? from NNL west many Moons ago.. when you received a Lifetime award..

You Had teasr In your eyes.. that was a special Moment for you..

from the name "bonsai wire" i would guess its available at a gardening supply shop and even better a japanese gardening shop. and that sounds like a great idea too, so tomorrow i am off to hasudas garden shop!

a slight modification: if you want various size solder, find an electronics supply shop or in a pinch, frys. radio shack should be a last resort but i realize in many areas thats all you got. its just that they typically have everything you dont need and dont have that one item you do need. maybe its just me.

:lol:

do they make a 2mm solder? If so where is a good place to get it? If not solder, what is a good alternative material?

Thanks,

Kurt

Kurt - I corrected my previous posts, aafter slapping myself on the forehead, because I misread the measurement on the one package....the material I used on the Bucket is just about 2.4mm in diameter, and it comes in a package of six 30cm lengths.

Email me your address if you have no luck finding anything locally.

If you don't have a local source for bonsai wire it's pretty cheap online. eBay, Amazon, etc. You might have a hard time finding bare aluminum; they usually anodize bonsai wire to blend in with the plants. Not a big deal as the anodizing comes off easily with CSC.

Bob Did you Hic-cup?? three times..LOL..

Looking forward to seeing you at the Heartland contest In KC In June.. Maybe you remember me?? from NNL west many Moons ago.. when you received a Lifetime award..

You Had teasr In your eyes.. that was a special Moment for you..

Cruzn, your post brought back very fond memories. I will always remember that day. Even my wife was present when I received the award. It was totaly unexpected and very gracious of the NNL West group. I met so many builders there at the NNL West, its hard to remember them all. I hope to recognize you at the Slammers thing in JUne, but, just in case, hit me along side the head if I have a blank stare when you say hello

bob