Model Cars Magazine Forum

Get your drool cups - Ford 427 FE Block CNC Milled From Billet Aluminum

That pretty nice but it's not a true 427 FE. It's is some sort of hybrid because it doesn't have the extended block skirts which are used for the cross-bolted mains. Instead, it is using a more conventional 4 bolt main cap set up. It also does not have the side oiler provisions of the race 427 but instead is oiling through the center of the block similar to the hydraulic cammed version built for street and marine use.

That said, Kirkham builds really nice stuff. Aluminum bodied Cobras with all billet suspension pieces and now a billet block option. "What's in your wallet?" ;-)

Being somewhat familiar with how a CNC mill works and time involoved to do do something like this.

I used to work here and the quality level is second to none,, and its not cheap http://www.ccookenterprises.com/valveCovers/billet.html

I can only imagine the hours involved to go from a forged block of aluminum to a finished engine block.

makes me wonder how much and Why ?

Edited by gtx6970

Because they can.

The Kirkhams built Larry Ellison's totally billet aluminum Cobra. Chassis, suspension and engine.

They sell a billet oil pan for conventional FE's with o-ring seal to block and pan bottom is the drain.

Being somewhat familiar with how a CNC mill works and time involoved to do do something like this.

I used to work here and the quality level is second to none,, and its not cheap http://www.ccookenterprises.com/valveCovers/billet.html

I can only imagine the hours involved to go from a forged block of aluminum to a finished engine block.

makes me wonder how much and Why ?

I know the billet LSX blocks go for around $10k or more. These guys with money to race and build cars, they do it because they can. If they can't, they'll find a way

most billet blocks hover around the $10,000 mark.

why a billet block? while i'm sure "because they can" is a viable answer but,........

how about they can machined lighter than a cast aluminum block. a billet block is 30 -40 % stronger than a cast aluminum block. if it is a forged billet it can be 60-70% stronger than a cast aluminum block. a cast aluminum block could not live long (if at all) with the amount of horsepower today's engine builders are making. from the nitro classes to the alcohol classes, pro mod, and all of the outlaw classes that allow billet blocks. whether it's supercharged, turbo'd, nitrous injected or a combination. you're looking at from 3000 horsepower to 10,000 horsepower. you would be amazed at the amount of billet blocks in just the drag racing world.

a billet/ forged billet block repairs / welds better than a cast aluminum block.

the BEST part about a billet block is you can create whatever hybrid design you desire. you want the cam bore moved up, you can do that. want special lifter bore diameter, spacing or lifter angles, you can do that. special cylinder bore centerlines, you can do that. want a cross bolt main on your chevy big block or a splayed four bolt cap on your chrysler hemi, you can do that. special deck height. there is almost nothing that can't be done.

now, here's the bestest, best part. if you think billet blocks are expensive, imagine the cost to have one, new, one of a kind, block cast at a foundary all of the new patterns/ molds and then the cost to heat treat and machine the casting. you'll find $10,000 for a billet block to be a bargain.

Edited by comp1839

if you go to the 3rd video. you'll see they use a one piece main girdle. much like the old donavan engine used.

Yeah I just watched the last video and confirmed what I had thought.