Model Cars Magazine Forum

'59 El Camino camper

Does anyone make this camper as an AM item? The kit itself is stupidly expensive (at least for my budget), but the El Camino is readily available for a decent price. I had this kit as a kid, and really want to do another. (Photo snatched from the WWW).

59%20El%20Camino_zpshdgb0jic.jpg

Edited by Roadrunner

Sorry Kevin. Going from memory. I probably can't afford to do that anymore. :lol:

I can definitely relate.

One version of the '65 had two camper tops in it. One of them was very similar to this. That version of the '65 is a little older now too though. It had box art of the Drag Camino on the top. Good Luck with your search.

Good news indeed. I'll hunt one down, and see what's what. That old 59 had to be one of my all-time top 5 favorites from when I was a kid.

The 59 Camino is one of my favorite kits as well. I also have a fullsize 59 Elcamino in my garage so that helps too. Building several different versions of the kit as a kid is a big part of why I have one in the garage. :)

As Dan posted, the 65 Elcamino with the drag camino for the main art on the box lid has the same up and over the roof camper as the old 59 Elcamino camper kit as well as the cap that has been in most if not all of the issues of the kit. I have an unbuilt camper kit and the two campers are identical. It is just a shell with no interior detail at all and no opening windows or doors. The one I have has very little flash on it and fits together fairly well. It actually fits on/in the 59 better than it fits the 65 IMO. The drag camino reissue should be fairly easy to find. It has the retro style box art that is a near copy of an older issue of the 65 camino kit. Make sure you get a reissue to be sure to get the camper though, I do not know if the earlier issue of the 65 drag camino has the camper in it or not.

That one is listed for about twice what it should be price wise. There are two on ebay right now for $29.99 which is still spendy for that kit IMO. Should be about $20-$25 at most, it's not exactly a rare kit. I am on my phone right now so I cannot see where you are from but if you were headed to NNL East in a couple of weeks I would bet that you could find one there. Maybe even just the camper for a few dollars if you were lucky.

So I was right. Cool!

Yes you were, Matt. I was looking at a different (and specific) boxing of the '65, and it had the wrong camper. You were absolutely right though, and I appreciate the help very much. To be able to pull off that old '59, seems very doable now, and that pleases me a ton.

For reasons that I can't quite nail down, I have a very strong desire to build again, a few of my favorites from my youth. A need to reconnect with my own past I suppose.