Model Cars Magazine Forum

HELP!......"3D" Printing!

Just fishing for some help with a project in mind.

Any of you guys, or gals, out there working with "3D" printing? Ya know...programing, and, or, manufacturing?

I have an idea that pertains to a scale that some of us are probably familiar with, HO (1:87). Although I do not model trains any longer. Haven't for several years. I have an idea. So like many of us with little income, and my technical prowess extends to the ability to find this web-site, and bid on the occasional model car kit on Ebay. In fact, my five year old Grandaughter can maneuver around on an "I-Pad" faster then I can manipulate the "TV" remote, I am looking for some help, or guidance.

If someone can be of assistance, respond to this post. Maybe we can get together, and discuss what I have in mind.

Thanks,

Mark

There was a very long and very informative seminar at GSL this year. one of the SLC club members even did a demonstration. A presenter that does a 3D printing blog said that a printer will soon be on the market for $275 and the club member mentioned that it is a good idea to have a computer specifically dedicated to the 3D printer

There was a lot of discussion on software, too. It is supposed to be put on the website so look for it and get comfortable before you start.

What I learned is that I will NOT be doing 3D printing. It would take me forever to learn the software.

Another presenter had a different approach: he did three view drawings on paper, hired somebody to convert them to 3D files, then had a printing surface make the part. he then made RTV molds and resin cast the parts. For me this sounds like the way to go. This guy also did a seminar on resin casting that also should be on the GSL site. I HIGHLY recommend thae anyone interested in 3D printing view one or both of these seminars.

The problem with the smaller scales is getting the detail to show through the laminations the printer makes while "printing" the part. The smaller the scale the less detail you are going to see. I have been doing the 3D side for 30 years so it is easy. I can model up anything you have in mind. PM if you want to talk. Let me know what you want to do and we can go from there. All confidentiality applies.

Mark Smakal

3D In Scale

I am certainly no expert, but I have been involved with 3D printing for a few years now..........Vince is right about the GSL seminars, they are very good. I have not seen this years, though I think it was last year they did an introductory piece on 3D printing that should still be on their website in the library there.....it was a really good overview. There are a lot of different approaches to having something done through 3d printing...........I am more than willing to help with your questions.......just send me a PM and I will see how I might help.............

Tony