Model Cars Magazine Forum

Yea, I guess there's more than one way to skin a ship...... err, rig a cat...!!  ^_^

I am still curious as to tightening the lines with the wood lime solution, if you care to share..........

More than one way....very true.  We want the best result for your problem, being too tight lines.

I have to admit I lost perspective.  I looked at my old Revell Cutty Sark I built in 1975.  This was the only ship I built that had the ratlines as a one piece unit, as I imagine your model is also.  So, attach the standing rigging first (the black lines from masts to the deck),  do not glue yet!

Then you can attach the 1-piece ratlines and glue these.  Then you have a firm mast setup.  Now you can pull, or un-loosen each knot from the black lines and pull them to a neutral position.  Read, one small tweezer in the left, one small tweezer in the right hand.  Always work from one side to the other.  When you have a taught mast, then you can proceed with the fore and aft standing rigging.  These models are nothing for wussies.  You have the pride of the Fleet at your hands, do it well please.

The 1 piece ratlines will allow you to have a fairly stiff basis to work on.  Sagging black lines is a no-no.  Sagging lines with sails is OK, as they're constantly being adjusted during sail. 

The wood leim solution, is wood glue.  Probably Elmer's or something along this line.  It has to be quick drying though!  Like tacky already in 5 minutes.  Put 1 drop (if the bottle has a nipple or whatever), then 2 drops of water added and stir it up with a fine instrument (small screwdriver), then with a fine brush paint it on the knot.  In a minute or two it's firm enough so that you can move on to the next knot.  With the 2 tweezers the knot can be wiggled back open if needed.  With CA this is impossible.  You do not have to hold the knot either.  Put the glue on it and move to your next step.

On my later ships, the ratlines and standing rigging had for each line an individual dead-eye so the taughtness was very, very easy to set.  Neutral tension can be reached when the lines are readily adjustable.  Tie now, glue later.

Edited by 10thumbs