Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dremel bit storage

Here's a cute little stacker that doesn't take up too much space but can store a TON (over 90) of bits

dreml%20bits_zpscc2eofu3.jpg

I made it from scrap plywood and mounted it on a lazy susan bearing

Each layer is actually two thicknesses of plywood. I cut both layers, then drilled all the way through the top layer before gluing it to the bottom layer, thus assuring that all the holes are the same depth.

The absolute bottom layer is a solid piece (to mount the bearing) but all the other layers have the centers cut out (they look like donuts). This reduces the amount of wood needed (as well as the weight), since the donut from the grey bottom layer becomes (after once again cutting out the center) the donut for the grey center layer and the donut from the grey center becomes the grey top layer. The same holds true fro the white layers.

The lamp part at the top allows me to easily carry it if necessary.

Edited by BigTallDad

I'm not sure the styrofoam wold be be sturdy enough...

Neither am I Cutting all those rings gives me a headache. Maybe some denser foam I see at building centers.

Maybe I should have said your work "inspires" me to seek a way to avoid cutting a bunch of wood. :rolleyes:

-Ray with my shop remodeling, I have something VERY similar to this planned, altho, mine not from plywood. (I've got scraps of Vinyl trim pieces that are 5-quarter thick and a few of them over 12 inches wide..... -NOT sure why so big, and dang near 4 feet long, them, used upside down, puts the molded-in "wood grain" on the bottom, but a NIICE smooth surface upward facing for making these disks you have done from it, and then drilled for 1/8th and 3/32nd holds for those size shanks and I plan to glue a tub of 2 inch diameter PVC down the center, ALSO having 3 maybe 4 tiers mounted together to all ride on a Lazy Susan bearing....

Only different materials as it what I got..... NOTHING I've bought! Saved "cut-offs" from where I used to work....

I just need to locate MORE of the lazy susan bearings, they are "MIA" local to me.....I salvaged a good one from a spinning rack I once had that the rack was rusted apart but the bearing was in decent shape! (Needed cleaned up a bit and a bit of oil added to it but in good shape over-all!)

GREAT idea tho, all can be done from common house-hold materials!

Edited by 426-Hemi

• 2 months later...