Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ross Gibson Engines... O M G!!!

DrewC

This post is an extension or addendum to my project in the "Drag Racing Build Off" '66 Cuda HUG. I bought and received the project's "crate engine". The Ross Gibson 603 Hemi!. I thought it only fitting to give this new era Hemi Under Glass (HUG) a new era motor.

OH MY GOD!!!... There's a lot of pieces here. Anyone ever build one that can offer some tips? Tricks? Advice? Moral Support?

Thanks,

DrewC

Edited by DrewC

:oLOL....come on it can't be that bad..I have always wanted to get one

Walt, honestly, I couldn't believe a) how many pieces there are and B) how small some of the parts are... forget using my glasses!

The detail is excellent. I'm sure if I take my time it MAY come out half way decent. A lot of detail brush painting will be in order!

Hopefully I'll start it soon and take some pictures!

Walt, honestly, I couldn't believe a) how many pieces there are and B) how small some of the parts are... forget using my glasses!

The detail is excellent. I'm sure if I take my time it MAY come out half way decent. A lot of detail brush painting will be in order!

Hopefully I'll start it soon and take some pictures!

jUST MAKE SURE YOU DO SOME INPROGRESS PICS

:P:o Get a flat hunk of 1/2" or 3/4" plate glass from your local glass shop....they can sand the edges, mount some 400 grit paper on it I use spray adhesive,

slowly square up all parts.. I mock it up now with elmers glue.After the fit is what you want take it apart and THOROUGHLY WASH it before painting!! B):o:o

:P:o Get a flat hunk of 1/2" or 3/4" plate glass from your local glass shop....they can sand the edges, mount some 400 grit paper on it I use spray adhesive,

slowly square up all parts.. I mock it up now with elmers glue.After the fit is what you want take it apart and THOROUGHLY WASH it before painting!! B):o:o

Mike, thanks for the reply. I'll do that.

B):lol: Get a flat hunk of 1/2" or 3/4" plate glass from your local glass shop....they can sand the edges, mount some 400 grit paper on it I use spray adhesive,

slowly square up all parts.. I mock it up now with elmers glue.After the fit is what you want take it apart and THOROUGHLY WASH it before painting!! :lol::lol::lol:

here it is:

all the parts

IMG_0421.jpg

flat plate

IMG_0425.jpg

mock up with white glue

IMG_0426.jpg

gettin close

IMG_0424.jpg

Edited by MikeMc

B) Mike the engine looks good just one Question where did you get your tacky glue ?

Mike, thanks for the info.... my plan is to use your suggestions and get it mocked up over the weekend.

Walt, if there's a Michael's near you they would have it otherwise a fabric store. The Elmers is probably at any Lowe's or Home Depot....

Mike, thanks for the info.... my plan is to use your suggestions and get it mocked up over the weekend.

Walt, if there's a Michael's near you they would have it otherwise a fabric store. The Elmers is probably at any Lowe's or Home Depot....

At Michaels... they also sell the" ultimate water based super glue" which I also use. It can be used as a contact cement also B);):o

Well, so far so good. Here are some pics of the block; heads, timing cover and oil pan... total pieces = 9 @ 2 heads, top half of block, two lower halfs, crank assembley, two piece oil pan and timing cover.

CudaProStockmotor004.jpg

CudaProStockmotor006.jpg

CudaProStockmotor003.jpg

This is what the packaging was like....

CudaProStockmotor011.jpg

CudaProStockmotor010.jpg

CudaProStockmotor007.jpg

NOTE the dominator carbs on the sprue - NOT PART OF PACKAGE - swifty here lost one of the CARB halves down the sink while washing - what a rookie!

Next on tap is some color and detail!

DrewC

Well, so far so good. Here are some pics of the block; heads, timing cover and oil pan... total pieces = 9 @ 2 heads, top half of block, two lower halfs, crank assembley, two piece oil pan and timing cover.

CudaProStockmotor004.jpg

CudaProStockmotor006.jpg

CudaProStockmotor003.jpg

This is what the packaging was like....

CudaProStockmotor011.jpg

CudaProStockmotor010.jpg

CudaProStockmotor007.jpg

NOTE the dominator carbs on the sprue - NOT PART OF PACKAGE - swifty here lost one of the CARB halves down the sink while washing - what a rookie!

Next on tap is some color and detail!

DrewC

Convert it to a "six pack" :o:o:o

Dah... I knew that! But I thought in this day an age for a Pro Stock motor, it may have meant something else.

It certainly would be something different for a Pro Stock motor - BUT... more to detail!

Thanks for the thought though. I'll probablly go with the carb set up that came with the RG kit and sawing one of my parts box carbs in half or just gong with the carbs as whole pieces (less detailing maybe?)

Thanks again!

DrewC

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry - no updates, but will start to work on it over the next few nights. Been caught up in chassis chaos for my project car.

Now that I got that "straightened out".... I can devote some time to the motor.

Thanks for asking and nudging! Haha!

DrewC

Thanks for the tips on this engine! I have been wanting to get one, now i have to! lol!

Sorry for a dumb question, but this tacky glue you guys talk about, i am confused! You can use it to glue stuff together, for mock up, then take it back apart? How does this work? This would be very helpfull, where can i find it(wal-mart right?) and what is it called? thanks for any help.

Again sorry for a dumb question, but i love the idea!

Edited by bub