Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Weathering Sets

You don't need to clear over the pigments because they don't really go on like other powders. 

please expain. I have been interested in ordering these sets but not sure what they are like. Are they dry powder, pastel chalk, or like a very thick paint that bites and adheres to the surface ? 

Hi Mike, I purchased one of these kits, and it turned out great. You can check my "Barn Find" 1/18- 69 Camaro, under Diecast cars section.

It is in a powder cake form, with an applicator. I scrapped a little out into a small plastic container that I saved from dipping sauce, and added just a touch of water. Then I used a fine paint brush to apply some rust in certain areas. I also scrapped some "dirt"( I think that's what they call it) from the kit into a very small spray bottle, and added some water, mixed it up, and sprayed down the car to add years of dirt falling on the car. When I was done, I did put a coat of dullcoat on the car just to make sure it stayed put under handling the car.

Cheers,

Lance 

71gU5d7Ro3L__SL1417_.jpg

712LYKQcZyL__SL1071_.jpg

please expain. I have been interested in ordering these sets but not sure what they are like. Are they dry powder, pastel chalk, or like a very thick paint that bites and adheres to the surface ? 

Tamiya Weathering sets aren't powdery. They are greasy, like makeup or mascara. When applied lightly, they impart a good effect; although, just like pastels, you can't overspray them with a flat coat because they' absorb moisture from the fixative and darken, ruining the weathering effect. Also, just like pastels, they don't stand up to handling well and will lift off. MIG pigments are better for weathering because they can be washed into crevices and can be easily removed using a toothbrush. Plus, you don't need to use a clear coat to seal them.