Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Smokey & the Bandit truck color?

Angelo , Coffee Brown is a hard to find color for modeling.  Several years back I seen a real truck that was painted that color and it resembled a "dark root beer" color to my eyes.
 Everyone of the "Snowman" trucks I have seen modeled they used Black.  I have never seen the 1/1 truck up close but from all the pictures and watching the movie numerous times it looks black to me.

When I get around to  making mine it will be Black.

I just put a message in to Brad Wike. He owns the most accurate replica of the snowman's Kenworth. If anyone would know the correct color, it would be him! I asked him for the paint code for the color he used on his replica.

OK I was just messaging back-and-forth with Brad Wike. The guy that built the most accurate real replica of the Smokey and the Bandit Kenworth. He said the truck is not coffee brown, it is black. It was painted to match the Trans Am. He had even confirmed it when he built his replica from the guy that painted the original trailer.

Edited by Ben

I would go with black myself, I have never seen the color Coffee Brown up close so I can't say how it looks, but I have seen the Smokie end the Bandit movie a gazillion times and the Snowman truck looks black to me from every angle it's shown in the movie...even on the close ups and with sunshine directly on it.
I don't even know where the Coffee Brown statement comes from and how reliable it is, I believe I found it mentioned on the IMCDB website when I did research on the movie truck where someone said it was painted Coffee Brown, I don't know if everyone else has read it there as it shows on more places on Internet...but with no proof and no color code, just the name.
But as the real movie truck(s) is gone no one will ever know for sure except for the people who painted it.
So when I will build mine I will for sure go with black and it will have a gold KW bug emblem on the grille wich all 1973 KW's had to celebrate the KW 50th anniversary.

Edited by Force