Model Cars Magazine Forum

Are model kits making a comeback? What gives?

There is hope for this hobby.  I was told by a reliable source that the Starsky & Hutch Torino is Revell's best selling kit of the year!  They are all sold out right now.  Note that the learned folks on this board found a lot of issues with this car, but the general public seems to be very happy.  And for this hobby to make it long term, the general public is where the big market is at!

There is hope for this hobby.  I was told by a reliable source that the Starsky & Hutch Torino is Revell's best selling kit of the year!  They are all sold out right now.  Note that the learned folks on this board found a lot of issues with this car, but the general public seems to be very happy.  And for this hobby to make it long term, the general public is where the big market is at!

I've heard the "death knell" of this hobby for more than 40 years now, Guys!   To paraphrase a legendary Mark Twain quote:  "The demise of this hobby (and the industry that supports it) is greatly exaggerated!"  Now, go BUILD something!  Wringing hands is best left to the sink, with soap and water!

Art

I think across the entire hobby there is a resurgence in new and reissued kits. 

As well as cars I build military kits and there seem to be new companies popping up all the time, the issue of new kits and reissue of older ones could be attributed to this as the competition is increasing.

The new kits that I would never of thought would ever get released, for example:

• 1929 Ford Model A hot rod
  • 1948 Ford convertible and custom coupe
  • 1949 Mercury custom 
  • 1932 Sedan, Coupe and roadsters
  • 1955 Chrysler 
  • 1953 and 54 Hudsons
  • The Kurtis craft midget racer
  • 1940 Ford coupe and convertible 
  • 1958 Chevrolet Impala
  • 1936 Ford Convertible 

and the reissues that make you happy to be still building and they seem to keep coming

• myers Manx 
  • 1953 Ford pickup
  • 1934 Ford pickup
  • 1940 Ford coupe
  • 1936 Ford coupe/roadster
  • 1925 Model T kits
  • and the many others that are being released, 

Kudos to  Round 2 for their effort to put back some of the parts lost / dropped over time and Round2, Revell, Möbius and others for the new kits and efforts in keeping the hobby alive and well. Finally, thanks to all the modellers who spend their 'hard earned' on this great hobby as this is what drives the manufacturers to keep releasing the kits.

I suppose the challenge now is to grab the younger generation, I am hoping to at least introduce my son to the hobby when he gets a little older. Even if he loses interest, I hope the seed is planted and he may come back to hobby later in his life as I did.

Edited by 59 Buick