Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya 12th F1. Which One?

Just coming back to model kits and want to get a Tamiya 12th F1

I do not want any particular model,williams,renault,farrari etc.

But i would like to go for the best kit,IF there is one.I presume the latest would be the bset but i have no idea.

Also i would like to go for a kit with good detail,the v12 farrari engine looks great.Some of the new cars are more compact,not as interesting.But i am no F1 expert.

Any feedback or advice on kits would be cool.

Just depends what your tastes are. I have quite a few of those kits. The newer kits like the williams FW-14 and the MP 4/6 are marvels. They have a few metal parts, and screws for some parts. Some parts, like the engine block defy injection molding technology. The older tools like the P34, the Renault RE-20 and the two ferraris were released between the mid 70s and early 80s and are also pretty amazing kits but not quite as amazing as the newer ones. there are many in current release,

http://www.towerhobbies.com/plastic/listin..._car_model.html

Many of these have been reviewed in the past few issues of that other magazine. I have the p-34, the Williams FW-14, The MP 4/6 and the RE-20. if you would like to see pictures of them i'll be happy to shoot a few.

I have yet to build one of these, but I did build the Tamiya 1/12th porsche 935. Quite a challenge but very rewarding. Good luck. I hope you get one or more and enjoy them.

I agree; ANY of the tamiya 12th scale kits are nice; the re-pop of the Tyell 6 wheeler with P/E is very nice. Having built just about all of them; I would say one of the best has to be the williams/renault FW14 kit; and the Mclaren/honda ranks right up there with it. Having built a raft of the 1/12 porsche cars as well; the 935 is also a REALLY good choice; and can be built up into an exceptional model with a bit of added detail; but builds very nicely from the box as well....if you like the older racing cars; the walter wolf ford and Matra kits are great models as well...........matt

I have built every one of the 1/12 series kits that Tamiya makes and all of the kits are excellent. The ones I would suggest doing would be the Williams Renault, the Mclaren Honda, or the Ferrari (modern) if you can find it. Everything fits much easier than the older kits and they have a lot more detail. The Williams is a V10 so if you're looking for a V12, either go with the Mclaren or the Ferrari. But a lot of the older kits have just been re-released so you should be able to find them for under $100. The ones I mentioned above will be a little more with the Ferrari being the most expensive.

The 1967 Honda RA273 F1 kit was the first Tamiya 1/12 F1 kit, introduced back in the fall of '69....12 box back then!!!!!

up until the early 90's the legendary Tamiya 1/12 F1 series was the top in the 70's-80's.

Could recomend all of the 1/12 F1 kits, but think a few are more worthwile.

In the"Old" 1/12 F1 kits these are the ones I recommend (many reissued in the 90's-00's):

-the very nice 1970 Ferari 312B

-1968 Matra MS 11, nice kit of a rare F1 subject.

-1970 Tyrell F1

-the very nice 1972 Lotus 72D JPS

-the very nice 1975 Brabham BT 44B .......... .............(quite rare & expensive....tough to get!)

-1974 Yardley McLaren M23......................................(also rare & expensive &...also tough to find).

-1977 Lotus JPS MKIII

-1979 Ferrari 312T4 one of Tamiya's landmark F1 kit for quite a time, beautiful........now reboxed with photoetched

-1979 Renault RE 20

The last big 1/12 F1 kits where made in the early 90's also very, very, very nice 1/12 kits, assembly fitting is as mention a bit better then the 70's kits plus the level of accuracy & details of parts was push to the limits of what was feasable back in the early 90's, nice museum pieces...... but the 90's-00's F1 look....not my type :rolleyes:

-1990 Ferrari F190

-1991 Mclaren MP4 Honda

-1992 Williams FW14B

• 1 month later...

The F-1s from the early 90's are easier to build. However my taste falls to those from the 70s as they all look different from each other, especially the P34. The working suspension and steering for that 4 small wheels are just amazing back then and even now!

• 1 year later...

I just built the renault.My lhs had it for around $80 which is a deal.Also own the lotus 78 and the ferrari 312t.

want to get the porsche next..either one. They go well had some fit issues with the exhaust on my renault 20.

The lotus was $120 and the ferrari was $90.So they are pricey

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple of these but mine are the older 70s versions. I think some research may be needed as I want to build the Lotus 49 as driven by Graham Hill but need to find if the whels are alluminium or chrome finish. The kit wheels are chrome finished.

My other 'rival' kit to build is the Tyrell as driven by Jackie Stewart.

Both of these have been re-released within the last 10 years or so, so you should not have as much trouble finding them as the 1960s 70s versions.

John