Model Cars Magazine Forum

Moebius tire/wheel sets

Can you guys give me the pros and cons of the Moebius wheel & tire sets? I haven't bought any yet but I see some of you using them as upgrades to kit versions. I'm sure they're not a direct fit on all suspensions but are they reasonably adaptable to most of them? Thanks in advance!

I mostly use them on my builds, both AMT and Revell. For AMT, you need "plug" the Moebius axle holes then drill for the axle rod. For Revell, they are almost perfect. You need to again plug the Moebius axle hole, the drill it out for the Revell axles. I think the AMT brake drums fit inside the Moebius wheel. If need some pics, let me know, I'll dig through my Photobucket and put them up.

Thanks Clayton, I appreciate the info. I have extensive experience with making 1/18 diecast wheels work between manufacturers and it sounds like a similar situation with Moebius wheels. I was thinking about the Moebius sets after I built my most recent Revell Can-Do/Will-Do wrecker. It seemed to me that the wheels didn't seat right inside the tires on that kit.

The one thing I don't like about them is that they aren't quite right for a classic truck, the rears are fine but the front wheels are not correct for an old unrestored rig. What I've been doing is replacing the fronts with ones from the Revell snap kits, the rims fit the tires and are much better looking on older trucks.

Here is an Astro with the front wheels like in the Revell kits: http://flipacars.com/photos/GMC/87/a8/10748_flickr-the-gmc-chevy-generals-bisons-astro-titans-crackerboxs.jpg

And here are the fronts from the Moebius kits, the area with the holes is more conical and the lip of the rim is deeper: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/2B-2CMELzgU/hqdefault.jpg

The one thing I don't like about them is that they aren't quite right for a classic truck, the rears are fine but the front wheels are not correct for an old unrestored rig.

Thats because they are made for newer trucks , so that cant be held against the wheel/tire set , just saying

Do you guys get the Moebius wheels as a separate unit, or do you buy the whole kit and bash it for the parts you like?

No, we buy this

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&W=002152672&I=LXDZNF&P=K