Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1972 Corvette

carro

For the interior - did you spray the acrylics?  If so, how did you thin them?  I'm just curious, because I'd like to use more acrylics.

Looks real nice!

thanks!

I applied the paint using my airbrush, I did this by mixing the paint 50/50 ratio with windshield washer fluid the blue stuff the cheapest one I could find, got it from the dollar store. I primer the parts with Duplicolor primer sealer first (the white primer)  And then airbrushed the acrylic on top, if it sprays to thin for you just add a drop of paint to your mix until you get the consistency you are comfortable with. I like to spray my mix very thin that way the airbrush don't get dry tip. I apply one pass and then use my blow drier to speed the drying process and when it goes flat then I spray another coat and dry again until you get the amount of coats you prefer. I will give it a day to dry And then I clear coat it with Duplicolor enamel gloss clear (do not use lacquer Gloss because when it dries it will look like a satin finish) . Some people thin the acrylics with future the same way but I personally haven't tried it yet. I looked it up on you tube sorry I don't have the link but I believe I looked it up by searching airbrushing craft acrylics. I hope this helps . 

Edited by carro

Nice looking.  I do love the looks of the 72 Vette and you are doing a good job.  Don't you hate when you have to redo something on a kit?   I hate it when I have to re-glue a suspension piece let alone redoing a paint job.  

Nice looking Vette so far.

Thank you. 

Nice looking.  I do love the looks of the 72 Vette and you are doing a good job.  Don't you hate when you have to redo something on a kit?   I hate it when I have to re-glue a suspension piece let alone redoing a paint job.  

Yes i do hate when  something goes wrong and it is frustrating, but I guess its Part of the hobby. Thank's

Had some time to work on this one. I clear coated the body 2 days ago. While that dries I tried some black wash on the seats because im going for a well kept but driven very often look.

P2020029_zpsmuhna90z.jpg

Im also for the very first time trying to put some distributor wires on the engine so I drilled the holes and started the process.

P2020030_zpsa8n6yali.jpgP2020031_zpsv8uta8v4.jpg

P2020032_zps1vtoyinr.jpg

Well that's it for now.

Looking really good. I to have just started getting into detailing the engine with the spark plug wires and other stuff. Really makes a big difference when you are done. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing this with us.       Jeff 

Looking really good. I to have just started getting into detailing the engine with the spark plug wires and other stuff. Really makes a big difference when you are done. Keep up the good work and thank you for sharing this with us.       Jeff 

Yes you are right,  It makes a huge difference . Just getting my feet wet and starting out with the simple stuff first. Thank you! 

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on this one slowly. I managed to polish the hood and also started on the body. I also ordered the photoetch kit (still waiting for that to get here) I also completed the engine.

P2080023_zpsbp3c9hgn.jpgP2080026_zpsotpcxmqs.jpg

P2120033_zpsqbtphv76.jpg

Now I wired the engine for the first time and also made a fuel line, a bracket so the alternator wont float in mid air , wire looms made of aluminum can and a hose.  Im sure the firing order is not correct and probably everything is wrong on it but just wanted it to look somewhat better than just what the kit provided. I just have to throw some black wash and maybe some dust here and there to make it look like it is driven often.

P2120034_zpsnysfvste.jpgP2120035_zpsicxjveog.jpg

P2120037_zpsxeopadxo.jpg

Also started on the interior tub. I will try to flock it this weekend and then paint the details.

P2080024_zpshm6jjjl1.jpgP2080025_zps0jx1kejb.jpg

That's all for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I received the photoetch kit I ordered so I finished the interior. I have a headache and my eyes hurt from straining so much  gluing and handling all those small parts with tweezers. It was worth it, altough some parts are hardly visible ( window cranks and door cranks). I also drilled the steering column and made a little lever for the turning signals and also made an opening on the opposite side for the photoetch keys. The kit did not come with decals for the gauges so I applied some from an R8 kit.

P2210043_zpsegnavzpb.jpgP2210044_zpseqmgywsp.jpgP2210046_zpsifl1rhyh.jpg

I also went ahead and put some seat belts on. Now all that is left is to paint the chrome on the windshield frame and the rocker panels and put it together. If everything goes well this week this one should be done next weekend. Meanwhile I already started my next build, another corvette 1953.

P2210048_zpswlcpxcr3.jpgP2210049_zpsk3kxrkg8.jpgP2210050_zpsdasnuepu.jpg