Model Cars Magazine Forum

New Mazda Miata-GT4

Jhedir6

Just got this today in the mail.

006_zpsdmtmnz9h.jpg

And even before it got here I was thinking, that it needed to be a hardtop. I know the Miata purists out there won't like that much. But then I thought, if I'm going to make it a hardtop, why not go just abit further and make it a real car. Being that I love GT race cars, I figure this might not look too bad as one.

So I have a BMW Z4 GT3 car I am going to use as a donor and make this little puppy into a GT. I'm tagging it as a GT4 car, cause its abit smaller than the BMW so it wouldn't likely ever be in the same Class in any GT event, but a smaller racer in its own class could potentially happen.

007_zpsuarfwogd.jpg

My plan/hope is I'll be able to just graft parts from the BMW right onto the Miata without losing any of the Miataness......I made a new word.....and since I'm juiced up about this idea, I hope to be able to post a pic later tonight with the first body mods under way.

Comment and Criticisms welcome and appreciated. Always.

David

Edited by Jhedir6

Been doing some work on this little beast too.

First I removed the roof from the BMW. I took the A pillars back and now I wish I had of just graphed the roof on from the windshield frame back. The Miata windshield doesn't fit now. I haven't tried the BMW windshield yet, I'm hoping to get lucky, but I'm not holding my breath. Otherwise I think it looks not too bad. I still haven't added any putty yet. This is just glued into place. There may be some more tweaking to come. I want to be able to adjust the roof if need be after I get the fenders installed to get an overall feel.

Then I removed the rear fenders and lower rocker panels off both cars. Backing strips were added  to the Miata for support for the incoming body graphs.

A shot from the front. Still looks like a Miata so far. I'm going to try and not remove or replace any of the frontal openings to retain the Mazda design.

Hoping to get the fender graphs attached tonight. Then start on the blending of them into the Miata body.

Thanks for looking.

Comments and Criticisms always welcome.

David

Couple more shots before I crash.

Passenger side rear fender on. Still some work to do to blend it in, but happy with the results so far.

I didn't take any shots from the rear, still lots of work to do there. I started on the driver side rear fender but it'll have to wait till tomorrow to get finished.

Thanks for looking.

David